Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP70 in mesh - Internal / External Antenna question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP70 in mesh - Internal / External Antenna question

Posted Nov 16, 2011 11:06 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.  I want to setup an existing AP70 to serve as a mesh point to connect the building and an AP to serve clients.  I plan on placing external antennas on the 5Ghz radio to connect the mesh, but don't know if I also need to have external antennas on the 2.4Ghz radios for the clients.  Can I use both the external and internal antennas at the same time?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AP70 in mesh - Internal / External Antenna question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2011 11:12 AM

@tbakker wrote:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.  I want to setup an existing AP70 to serve as a mesh point to connect the building and an AP to serve clients.  I plan on placing external antennas on the 5Ghz radio to connect the mesh, but don't know if I also need to have external antennas on the 2.4Ghz radios for the clients.  Can I use both the external and internal antennas at the same time?

Thanks.

Since your options are either "internal" or "external", I would say that you cannot use both. Therefore if you are using an external antenna for 5Ghz, you will need to use an external antenna for the 2.4Ghz as well.

Zach

• 3.  RE: AP70 in mesh - Internal / External Antenna question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2011 06:31 PM

Zach is correct, the RF switch on the AP70 is an either/or option. So you will need some internal antennas for the 2.4GHz side as well.

• 4.  RE: AP70 in mesh - Internal / External Antenna question

Posted Nov 18, 2011 03:32 PM

That's what I thought, but thank you for for confirming that.