Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

APs are down.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  APs are down.

Posted Jan 18, 2013 09:22 AM

I was changing some configurations yesterday and all of my APs now read as down. I can no longer connect to them, the lights are still green and they look like they are communicating. I've back off all my changes except for changing the actual names of the APs, since they are no longer connecting it is a little hard to do that. Any ideas would be greatly welcomed, they were working just fine before I messed things up.

Thanks,

Robert

• 2.  RE: APs are down.

Posted Jan 18, 2013 09:40 AM

I guess it would help if I stated what I have:

2 Aruba 3200 controllers, one as a master, one as a local and 12 AP -125 access points, 3 are configured as air monitors.

• 3.  RE: APs are down.

Posted Jan 18, 2013 10:04 AM

Did you enable Control Plane Security? If so then you have to add the AP MAC addresses to the whitelist or enable Auto Cert Provisioning (don't forget to turn it off after each AP has connected). You can check this at Configuration>Network>Controller. 

Did you change something in the network configuration?

• 4.  RE: APs are down.

Posted Jan 18, 2013 10:18 AM
      |   view attached

I can't say I see that setting anywhere.

• 5.  RE: APs are down.

Posted Jan 18, 2013 10:31 AM

Do you have the licenses installed?

I can see that you are using FIPS-mode software. I have never seen that maybe it is a bit different.

Did you check one of the AP's console output? It may help to figure out what is the problem.

• 6.  RE: APs are down.

Posted Jan 18, 2013 10:35 AM

Yes, it says I have a total of 16 AP license installed...that should be enough for my 12. I don't have access to the network that is between the controllers and the APs. The thought has come to mind that it is a problem with that part of the network but I hesitate to say that since it was working before I started changing things on the controllers.

• 7.  RE: APs are down.

Posted Jan 18, 2013 11:46 AM

Well, if an AP could not connect to the controller I would check these first:

-CPsec is enabled and the AP's are not in the whitelist - you can check this on the controller

-There is no valid license on the controller - you can check this on the controller

-The AP can not find the controller: this can be a network problem, for example they do not get IP address or some cable is not connected, acl's blocking the required ports or protocols, wrong network configuration on the controller etc. (if there is only L3 connectivity amongst the AP and controller you need to use DNS or DHCP option to tell the controller IP to the AP or use static configuration on the AP) - you can check whether the AP's get IP address on the DHCP server, you can try to ping that from the controller at first

-There might be static configuration on the AP which containts wrong information (for example the master IP is wrong) - you can check this if you connect to the console port of the AP and use the printenv command in the AP boot menu (purgeenv - saveenv resets it)

-Try to examine the console output while the AP is booting. You will see if it gets correct IP address and finds the controller

• 8.  RE: APs are down.

Posted Feb 25, 2013 01:40 PM

You say the lights are on. But can you tell us which lights are on?

Then I would console in to the ap and watch the ap boot. Can the ap get an ip? Does it get the master from DNS/DHCP option or ADP?  Is the IP it gets correct?

Might just need to open a tac case if this is production and you need the network backup sooner rather than later.