Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

APs didnt didnt come back up

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  APs didnt didnt come back up

Posted Nov 25, 2012 02:24 PM

Having an issue where none of the APs are coming back-up.  I performed modifications to DHCP server that provided IP addresss to the AP, but I have roll-back those modifications - still no sucess with the AP.

I believe it has something to do with the error message

Unexpected stm (Station management) runtime error at data_path_handler, 642, data_path_handler: recv - Network is down

(aruba) #show log system 5                    
    Nov 25 12:03:48 :306510:  <WARN> |publisher|  Dropping message from 8214 for service '51 (service not found)'
    Nov 25 12:03:50  KERNEL: 0:<4>process `trapd' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT
    Nov 25 12:03:59 :304001:  <ERRS> |stm|  Unexpected stm (Station management) runtime error at data_path_handler, 642, data_path_handler: recv - Network is down

(aruba) #show ap database long                  

AP Database
    -----------
    Name             Group       AP Type  IP Address      Status  Flags  Switch IP    Wired MAC Address  Serial #   Slot/Port  FQLN                               Outer IP  User
    ----             -----       -------  ----------      ------  -----  ---------    -----------------  --------   ---------  ----                               --------  ----
    AP-airmonitor01  airmonitor  61       192.168.200.20  Down           192.168.1.6  00:0b:86:ca:99:4b  A30108843             AP-airmonitor01.Floor 3.HOME.HOME  N/A       
    AP-auth01        auth        70       192.168.200.24  Down           192.168.1.6  00:0b:86:c7:76:56  A50181139             AP-auth01.Floor 3.HOME.HOME        N/A       
    AP-combo01       combo       124      192.168.200.22  Down           192.168.1.6  00:24:6c:c5:5b:ec  AJ0208022             AP-combo01.Floor 3.HOME.HOME       N/A       
    AP-guest01       guest       61       192.168.200.23  Down           192.168.1.6  00:0b:86:ca:8f:d2  A30106418             AP-guest01.Floor 3.HOME.HOME       N/A       

Any thoughts?

• 2.  RE: APs didnt didnt come back up

Posted Nov 25, 2012 03:17 PM

It is too much asking if you tell us what change you did?

Asides that

If you got access to one of those APS for example the AP 124 which has a console port check what config it has and if its correct

You can always console the AP boot it up and check the config with on the apboot

When ap is booting you press enter enter till you get to the boot

do this command

print

It will show you who is the master, servver ip, check if its correct(or you can show us the output)

you can also do dhcp command to see if he is getting ip(if you are getting from the DHCP server)

If you put it statically then the print command is enough

IF you see everything is correct

try booting the AP and look at the output and look if it has an error or the reason of why is not contacting controller, with it should tell you.

When i get this kind of situation in which the AP cannot contact the controller i always go and console the AP and most of the times the problem is soemthing in there...

If you see that in the print output something is incorrect then you can correct iit via console...on the cli check that out... that is what i would do, and well thats is what i do when i get this kind of issue...

Actually i dont see a way to troubleshoot it asides from consoling the AP, as the AP cannot contact the controller you have to see whats up with the AP :) and you do that consoling it...

• 3.  RE: APs didnt didnt come back up

Posted Nov 26, 2012 04:26 AM

Hi,

Try connect your laptop to the switch (in the place of AP); check if you manage to get IP address and DNS-server IP.

1- check if you can ping the DNS server and check if you can resolve aruba-master using: ping aruba-master

2- if you are using DHCP option for discovery; check your configuration once again and check the Upper case letters when you enter the name.

3- if you are using ADP then discovery should happen unless this feature is disabled or blocked.

update us if you have more info. Also as NightShed said connect to AP console port.

• 4.  RE: APs didnt didnt come back up
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 26, 2012 07:39 AM

Made modifications to use Aruba's builtin DNS proxy and passed that parameter to each subnet - inlcuding the AP subnet.

I finally gave in consoled into an AP to validate the settings directly - and I did in fact pass the wrong parameter to the AP (wrong DNS gateway - so it cound not resolve aruba-master.  Issue resolved thanks.

• 5.  RE: APs didnt didnt come back up

Posted Nov 26, 2012 07:47 AM

Hey,

Good news. You have done a great job.

Goodluck.

• 6.  RE: APs didnt didnt come back up

Posted Nov 26, 2012 08:18 AM

told you consoling it always solve that kind of issue ;P