Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

APs from Australia to Europe

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  APs from Australia to Europe

Posted Feb 11, 2018 10:53 AM

Hi,

Can I bring APs from Australia and use them in Europe? I heard there's a difference with APs for the US market and worry that if this is the case also for the Austrailian market.

BR

Mike

• 2.  RE: APs from Australia to Europe

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2018 02:29 PM

What is the model number? 

Are you going to use it as an IAP or tied to one of your controllers? 

I have used US controller with IAP-RW. WHen I converted the IAP-RW to campus AP, it worked. So at that point it was just an AP and used whatever regulatory domain the controller controlled it to use.

If you were to connect IAP-RW to a IAP-US cluster, Im not sure what it would do because I never tried it. 

• 3.  RE: APs from Australia to Europe
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2018 03:26 PM

Australia and Europe both use -RW controllers and Instant access points, so there's no issue moving an AP from Australia to Europe.

Aruba has (up to) 5 different regulatory models for controllers and instant (or unified) access points: US, JP (Japan), IL (Israel), EG (Egypt) and RW (rest of world).

Note also that if you have a controller-based deployment, the "regulatory identity" is defined by the controller, and you can use any AP.

• 4.  RE: APs from Australia to Europe

Posted Feb 11, 2018 03:40 PM

Thank you all.

They will be used with a controller so I asume they will work in Europe (also being RW).

/Mike

• 5.  RE: APs from Australia to Europe

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2018 04:54 PM

Thanks for the help @onno :-) 

• 6.  RE: APs from Australia to Europe

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2018 02:50 AM

The (I)AP and Controller must match for the regulatory domain, so if both are -RW you will be fine. A -RW access point will not come up on an -US controller or vice-versa.

Dedicated campus APs (AP-xxx, without a suffix like -RW, -US,...), should work on any regulatory domain controller.

• 7.  RE: APs from Australia to Europe
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2018 01:56 PM

Herman: that's no longer true.

Since 6.5.2.0 and 8.2.0.0 this restriction has been removed.

The controller "takes over" when an IAP (or RAP, UAP) is converted for controller-based operation.

• 8.  RE: APs from Australia to Europe

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2018 08:03 PM

Yeah I had no idea either until the other day I gave it a try and converted a IAP-315-rw to a cap and connected it to a US controller and it worked :-) 

• 9.  RE: APs from Australia to Europe

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2018 03:34 AM

Thanks Onno, good to know!