Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

APs not reaching Master

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  APs not reaching Master

Posted May 24, 2012 12:53 PM

We are in the process of replacing our controllers and at the same time upgrading to the lastest code.  We are using a different Master that is on the newest code as well for each site that we upgrade.  Once we complete the upgrade we set the APs local and master ip address so it can reach the new master.

So far everything is going fine, but we have a site that the APs do not reach the new master, they just come back to the local instead.  What would be causing them not to reach/find the master?

• 2.  RE: APs not reaching Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2012 01:12 PM

If they are on the same subnet as the local controller, that will override a DNS entry.  you would have to statically provision those APs to look for the controller you want them to find.

• 3.  RE: APs not reaching Master

Posted May 24, 2012 01:15 PM

We entered the new master's ip when provisioning them and it shows in the 'show ap details' as well.

• 4.  RE: APs not reaching Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2012 01:19 PM

Below is where you put that IP address to make sure it finds that controller properly.  Are you sure that in that access point's AP group you don't have an AP system profile that has an LMS-IP pointing to that local controller?

master.png

• 5.  RE: APs not reaching Master

Posted May 24, 2012 01:49 PM

We have set the "Host Controller IP Address" as the Local controller. We have set "Master Controller IP Address/DNS name" as the Master controller.

Yes, we do have the LMS-IP on the AP Group pointing to the Local Controller, that's how it should be so the AP find their local controller.

• 6.  RE: APs not reaching Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2012 01:51 PM

@salvi wrote:

We have set the "Host Controller IP Address" as the Local controller. We have set "Master Controller IP Address/DNS name" as the Master controller.

Yes, we do have the LMS-IP on the AP Group pointing to the Local Controller, that's how it should be so the AP find their local controller.

I am confused.

You want them to reach the master and NOT end up on the local, but they end up on the local anyway and that is fine?  How do you want this to work?

• 7.  RE: APs not reaching Master

Posted May 24, 2012 01:57 PM

We want them to go to the master first, from there, they will go to the local via the LMS-IP of the AP Group that belong.

Do I have something wrong with my logic here?  If so, let me know.

• 8.  RE: APs not reaching Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2012 01:59 PM

@salvi wrote:

We want them to go to the master first, from there, they will go to the local via the LMS-IP of the AP Group that belong.

Do I have something wrong with my logic here?  If so, let me know.

You are not wrong, but if an AP connect to a controller and it does not match it's code, it will either downgrade or upgrade to match it.  With that being said, you need to have both master and local on the same version of code for this to work.

• 9.  RE: APs not reaching Master

Posted May 24, 2012 02:23 PM

Yes, both the local and new master are on the same latest code of 6.1.3.1.  

• 10.  RE: APs not reaching Master

Posted Jun 12, 2012 11:45 AM

Co-worker contacted TAC and was informed to reboot the Master to fix the issue.  Master was rebooted to fix issue.