Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

APs won't stay on local controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  APs won't stay on local controller

Posted Oct 31, 2018 12:17 PM

We’re having an interesting issue with that I noticed not too long after  our last OS upgrade (not sure they are related though).  For some reason, about half of our APs (over a period of 2-3 days) keep migrating back to the Master controller where everything should terminate on the Local.  I’ve made sure the Local is set as active in HA and the Master is set to Standby.  I’ve also verified the LMS settings are correct.  Even after rebooting the Master several times, and all APs move to the local, they continue, 1 by 1, to move back to the Master. I rebooted the Master 2 hours ago and now about 10% of our APs have moved back to it.  It's like the setup has changed to Active/Active and I'm not sure why.

• 2.  RE: APs won't stay on local controller

Posted Oct 31, 2018 05:00 PM

Couple of questions:

What version are you on?

Are the AP's rebooting when the land on the master? What is the uptime on the master

Tennyson

• 3.  RE: APs won't stay on local controller

Posted Nov 01, 2018 08:27 AM

Currently we are running on 6.5.4.8.

The APs are not showing reboots; they are showing an uptime of 92 days.

Uptime for the master controller is less than 1 day as I have rebooted it several times to force the APs to move back to the local controller but then they keep moving back.

• 4.  RE: APs won't stay on local controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2018 09:09 AM

Do you have a backup LMS-IP configured in the AP system profile for that ap-group as well as a preempt parameter?

• 5.  RE: APs won't stay on local controller

Posted Nov 01, 2018 09:13 AM

LMS is configured as being the local controller and LMS Backup being the master controller.  LMS preemption is not enabled.  Also, preemption in HA Group is not enabled.

• 6.  RE: APs won't stay on local controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2018 09:28 AM

Typically an access point will move to the backup if there is a connectivity issue.  I would type "show ap debug system-status ap-name <name of ap>" and look at  the failover and Rebootstrap Information to see why that access point moved.

• 7.  RE: APs won't stay on local controller

Posted Nov 01, 2018 10:33 AM

Thanks.  I looked at one of the APs and sure enough, there is a keepalive-timeout.

Rebootstrap Information
    -----------------------
    Date Time Reason (Latest 10)
    --------------------------------------
    2018-11-01 06:58:01 Switching to LMS 10.1.27.5: KEEPALIVE-TIMEOUT. Last Ctrl message: HELLO len=1222 dest=10.1.27.5 tries=10 seq=0

Now I've got to figure out why as only about 20% of the APs have moved over and the other controller is still up.