Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARM and Noise Threshold in 6.4.x

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  ARM and Noise Threshold in 6.4.x

Posted Sep 29, 2016 09:18 AM

The 'Noise Threshold' option in ARM profiles is no longer available. What is the method administrators are to influence ARM to channelize around channels with high noise floors? I realize Channel Quality is available, however, channel quality in our case is decent. The problem is the noise floor influences client SNR, which in turn can influence premature roaming and/or flapping.

Ideas?

• 2.  RE: ARM and Noise Threshold in 6.4.x

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2016 08:57 AM

I want to say that Channel Quality Aware does ingest noise as one of its factors:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-is-channel-quality-aware-ARM-How-is-it-configured/ta-p/184364

Is this noise for 2.4ghz or 5ghz that you are having problems with?  If it was for 5ghz, which device is causing the issue?

I think the understanding is that noise alone is not the best determing factor for a channel and more factors should be used to understand how good or bad things are...

• 3.  RE: ARM and Noise Threshold in 6.4.x

Posted Oct 01, 2016 10:10 AM
    5ghz. Haven't triangulated the source yet in the classroom.

I agree there are more factors to consider but when there's a high noise floor, the lowering of client SNR is problematic, and the AP staying on that channel is less than ideal. How accurate/real-time are the ch.Qualitty values in rf-summary?

- Ryan -
    (sent while mobile)

• 4.  RE: ARM and Noise Threshold in 6.4.x

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2016 11:41 AM

@Ryan wrote:
    5ghz. Haven't triangulated the source yet in the classroom.

I agree there are more factors to consider but when there's a high noise floor, the lowering of client SNR is problematic, and the AP staying on that channel is less than ideal. How accurate/real-time are the ch.Qualitty values in rf-summary?

Good Question.  Let me try to find out.