Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARM is using just 2 channels and has some APs overlaping using a WLC 7030 and AP225

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  ARM is using just 2 channels and has some APs overlaping using a WLC 7030 and AP225

Posted Feb 20, 2015 07:15 AM

ARM is using just channel 1 and 11 even when 6 has a lower noise floor. I have 14 APs. Each one is located in order to not overlap using different channels. I'm not using full EIRP to avoid mismatch power settings between the APs and the PC. I'm noticing that 2 consecutive APs has the same channel and they are lower the power in the 2.4 GHZ. how can I change the interference index value? or improve ARM behaviuor?

#AP225

• 2.  RE: ARM is using just 2 channels and has some APs overlaping using a WLC 7030 and AP225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2015 08:18 AM

Are you saying that out of 14 access points, there are none on channel 6?  Are there any other access points outside of your system on channel 6?

ARM Client-Aware is enabled by default and if you have any clients "active" on access points, they will not change channel.

#AP225

• 3.  RE: ARM is using just 2 channels and has some APs overlaping using a WLC 7030 and AP225

Posted Feb 20, 2015 08:53 AM

I just disable "Client Aware" but the APs reamins in the same channels. I check if there are any neraby outside APs, but their power is under -90 dbm in Channel 6. Can I tunne anything else to improve ARM behaviour?

#AP225

• 4.  RE: ARM is using just 2 channels and has some APs overlaping using a WLC 7030 and AP225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2015 09:08 AM

Please take a look at the ARM supplement here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/70/1204/1/ARM+Doc+Supplement.pdf

The majority of deployments do not change any of the ARM parameters besides Min and Max TX power (and of course client aware).  Noise and interference are only two of the parameters that are considered in the ARM algorithm.  The target channel also has to be of X better quality than the channel that it is on.  There is a minimum time that an access point needs to be on a channel before considering changing to another.  In addition, there are a number of times an access point needs to scan a channel before considering changing to that channel.  These timers and others make it so that channel changes are not erratic and immediate, but gradual.  If the noise rises above a certain level for a specific period of time  it will change channels, immediately, however...

Please read the supplement to get an idea of how it works.  Again, very few people if any change these parameters without TAC, because it is hard to measure over the course of a day how  much of a difference they make.  Two access points near to each other on the same channel, especially in the 2.4ghz spectrum is not out of the question, but likely because there are only 3 channels in the US regulatory domain.  It is not something to specifically worry about.  It is much less expected on the 5ghz when doing 20mhz channels.

#AP225

• 5.  RE: ARM is using just 2 channels and has some APs overlaping using a WLC 7030 and AP225

Posted Feb 20, 2015 10:00 AM

Hi, Thanks for your answer. I want to know if "Channel Quality Aware Arm" has to be enable in order to the AP change channels as you said based on quality?. I'm checkin with "show ap arm rf-summary ap-name" and wait for the time "Next Check channel/pwr " and watching if channels are changing based on Interference Index calcultation. I can see that apparently is changing as expected from meassurements. They are changing power and channels more often between channel 1 and 11.

#AP225

• 6.  RE: ARM is using just 2 channels and has some APs overlaping using a WLC 7030 and AP225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2015 10:19 AM

Channel Quality ARM allows the access point to change channels if there is high channel utilization on a channel.  It is advised to enable this, for sure.

#AP225