Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARUBA 205H desk mounted remote AP

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  ARUBA 205H desk mounted remote AP

Posted May 30, 2017 02:07 PM

Hi,

I am new to Aruba products and am considering the Wall plate 205H. I noticed that it has a stand to put that as a desk mounted option. I have not seen this elsewhere.

• Under what conditions is this userful?
    • Anyone have experience using this?
    • Is it useful in condominium (MDU) deployment? Does it come with security to drill the stand to the table?

Apprecite any real world examples or the intention of the stand

• 2.  RE: ARUBA 205H desk mounted remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2017 08:50 AM

The desk mount is for using the 205H (or 303H) in a home office environment as a Remote AP. You can use it really anywhere but it's for those locations where mounting on a wall isn't an option. 

• 3.  RE: ARUBA 205H desk mounted remote AP

Posted Jun 04, 2017 02:40 AM

Thanks for where it could be used. What i am trying to get is real world examples of someone who actually has used it. Any case studies out there of using the AP with the stand?

One concern i have is you put a stand in a dorm room or hotel (without in building wireless) won't the AP be at risk of tampering/being taken out etc.?

• 4.  RE: ARUBA 205H desk mounted remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 04, 2017 09:52 AM
    I doubt anyone has actually deployed it in a public setting with the stand. It’s really meant to be used in a home office type environment.

• 5.  RE: ARUBA 205H desk mounted remote AP
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 08, 2017 09:01 AM

@Kasa wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Aruba products and am considering the Wall plate 205H. I noticed that it has a stand to put that as a desk mounted option. I have not seen this elsewhere.

• Under what conditions is this userful?
    • Anyone have experience using this?
    • Is it useful in condominium (MDU) deployment? Does it come with security to drill the stand to the table?

Apprecite any real world examples or the intention of the stand

Hi Kasa,

A couple use-case scenarios from our experience:

1. We deployed the 205H in our residence halls last year and had about 20 rooms where we made temporary use of the Desk Mount stands. These were staff - student staff locations where the room only had one Dual Gang Box - we couldn't simply replace it at the time due to box also housing coaxial cable port and analog phone line (these specific rooms are the rare locations that still make use of an analog line). Some of the locations were staff apartments and did have a couple move them into another room (which didn’t work till they contacted us).We actually just went back this past month and had the APs all mounted to the Dual-Gang Box with following solution:
      • Our wiring team drilled a new hole in the side of the box for the coaxial port.
      • We utilized the "E0/PT" port on the bottom to pass through the analog line - and made a "Phone" label to place above the pass through port.
    2. We did make permanent use of the Desk-Mount stands for special purpose locations such as in parking huts where space is extremely scarce and has worked very well over the past year.

A couple additional things we did for the 205Hs (wall-mounted):
      • We had a label made for the 205H that contains Help Desk contact information as well as spanned the width of the three-wired ports (205H) – that stated which ports to use.
      • We also purchased “RJ45 fillers” that require a special tool to remove to help prevent students from mistakenly plugging into the pass-through port on the AP to help minimize support tickets. Although if you already have two cables running to the jack box – you can make use of the pass through port (it just will not be manageable by the IAP/Controller) – it is literally just a coupler. The pass through has worked well for analog line case in our scenario – and will pass through PoE.

The 205H mount does have a “Kensington” lock slot on it and a couple screw holes to secure the desk-mount to the AP itself. As for durability though of the stand though – can’t be too sure of that.

• 6.  RE: ARUBA 205H desk mounted remote AP

Posted Aug 18, 2017 11:46 PM

Thank you. That was very informative. i appreciate the time you took to respond.