Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARUBA Ap SSID per VLAN

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  ARUBA Ap SSID per VLAN

Posted Oct 03, 2016 05:58 PM

Hi. I want to create a SSID per VLAN using these Aruba APs. I did this solution using Ubiquity + Sonicwall. Now I will use Aruba + Fortinet. I not going to do the fortinet part just the AP config.

So I will create 5 different SSID and assing those to a specific VLAN. Example. VLAN 10 SSID Marketing , VLAN 20 SSID Sales etc.

Then I will connect my AP to a trunk port and connect that switch to the Fortinet. And the fortinel will have the DHCP server for each VLAN.

After read and watch a few aruba videos the creation of the SSID and assignation to the vlan is really easy.Should I do something else in the aruba side?

Note. Im not using a controller in this solution. Just autonomous Ap

• 2.  RE: ARUBA Ap SSID per VLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2016 07:34 PM
    Why not have a single SSID, and put users in different VLANs based on AD group, instead?

• 3.  RE: ARUBA Ap SSID per VLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2016 07:43 PM

Let me expand on my comments.

If you are using 802.1x, you can have the radius server return a VLAN attribute to a user based on AD group.  That way, you can have a single SSID and users will be automatically put into the VLAN they belong to upon authentication.

You should put the IAP or autonomous AP on a trunk and the AP will send the user traffic out tagged, depending on VLAN.

Adding more SSIDs, increases overhead and decreases performance, so having a single VLAN is more efficient and requires less client configuration.

• 4.  RE: ARUBA Ap SSID per VLAN

Posted Oct 03, 2016 10:18 PM

Well I not have the time to test your  reccomendation. Because tomorrow I must do this. I will do it in the future maybe you can provide me a manual  or a guide to do it.

But for now I will follow my original idea. So basically what I want to do is possible not efficient but should work right?

also what is an IAP?

• 5.  RE: ARUBA Ap SSID per VLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2016 10:49 PM

It should work.  IAP= Instant AP.  Which model AP do you have?

• 6.  RE: ARUBA Ap SSID per VLAN

Posted Oct 03, 2016 10:58 PM

IAP-205-RW