Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARUBA Controller Showing Win 7 client as IPhone device..

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  ARUBA Controller Showing Win 7 client as IPhone device..

Posted Apr 21, 2014 07:38 AM
    Gents,

l'm curious about this.. I have a 3600 controller connecting to a external DHCP.. I noticed when I go to monitoring / clients I  can see some IPhones connected to my employees network.. (This is not possible because this SSID is setup to allow laptops no personal phones..
    After a full analysis if I check the DHCP server I have the correct name from the host and the IP address but if I go back to the controller and look for the device type it shows up as an IPhone. 
    Also airwave is doing the same thing..

Any suggestion? maybe a DHCP issue? should I check something ? 

Regards,

Giovanni Saldarriaga

dhcp.JPG

• 2.  RE: ARUBA Controller Showing Win 7 client as IPhone device..

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2014 08:02 AM
    The user could be using a browser that has an iPhone user agent configured.

• 3.  RE: ARUBA Controller Showing Win 7 client as IPhone device..

Posted Apr 21, 2014 03:59 PM

Tim, Giovanni, 

As I remember controller clasiffies endpoints with DHCP fingerprint. You can enable debug log and follow the raw fingerprint from the client. 

Mant regards 

Marek 

• 4.  RE: ARUBA Controller Showing Win 7 client as IPhone device..
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2014 04:37 PM

marqs,

In the user-table on the controller it uses the "Browser Agent" to show the operating system, NOT the DHCP fingerprint.  To see what browser agent the incorrectly classified user is showing, Giovanni can type "show aaa device-id-cache | include <mac address>":

(192.168.1.3) #show aaa device-id-cache | include 00:24:2c:3a:08:37
    00:24:2c:3a:08:37  Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0                                                                 Wed Aug  3 19:55:32 2011

That will determine what application is causing the device to be misclassified.

Sometimes something as little as a weather APP causes the device to be misclassified.