Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AWMS Client usage

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AWMS Client usage

Posted Sep 30, 2014 03:54 PM

The client count and data usage on the AWMS GUI is not showing the same data as i am see on the controller CLI. There is over a 500 client difference. In the controller i see 632 clients but only seeing 162 clients on the AWMS GUI, any ideas? Ive been working with Aruba tech for 6 days and no fix in sight

• 2.  RE: AWMS Client usage

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:03 AM

What's the support case number?  What version of AirWave?  Is AirWave collecting data over SNMP or AMON for your clients?

If AMON, make sure that you're running AMP 8.0.4.1 code for latest AMON fixes.  Also, does AirWave have valid credentials for the controller to access telnet/ssh (needed for retrieval of missing client data).  If not, then AirWave is unable to perform ExecUI queries to retrieve base xml state (catching existing clients), it will only reflect clients that have had a recent associate.

If SNMP, what's the output of:
    # s2w <controller_ip> <community_string> nUserName -On

If using IPv6 -> nUser6Name

If the output looks accurate, try piping to line count:

# s2w <controller_ip> <community_string> nUserName -On | wc -l

The number of lines should match up to what AirWave is displaying for user count.

• 3.  RE: AWMS Client usage

Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:25 AM

The support case # is 1592448, the AMP version is 7.6.2 the airware is collection using SNMP. What should I be looking for when running the commands you provide?

• 4.  RE: AWMS Client usage

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:29 AM

There's 2 factors:

1) Time it takes for controller to generate the response to the SNMP query.

2) Number of lines the SNMP query outputs.

If it takes a long time for the controller to generate the SNMP response, that's could be a contributing factor to the client count being behind.

I'd expect the number of lines to be exactly the same as the number of clients reported in AMP.

Another thing to check is that you have client traps enabled for SNMP.  The AMP should be getting user auth and deauth traps from controller.

• 5.  RE: AWMS Client usage

Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:44 AM

The client traps are enabled for SNMP, I am not seeing any apparent issue, all the settings seem to be correct. But client count is still inaccurate.

• 6.  RE: AWMS Client usage

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:47 AM

Then there might be an error or clobber happening in the background.  I'll see if I can connect with support to gain access to the support case details.

Check contents of:

/var/log/async_logger_client

/var/log/snmp_v2_fetcher

• 7.  RE: AWMS Client usage

Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:49 AM
    I have already sent those logs to the Aruba tech working this case.

Thank You
    Mohamed

• 8.  RE: AWMS Client usage

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 04:01 PM

There should have been a support handoff, has support gotten in contact with you since our last update?

• 9.  RE: AWMS Client usage

Posted Oct 01, 2014 04:06 PM
    Yes I just got off the phone with them, they took some screen shots and some logs which they are going to escalate. Thank you for your help.

• 10.  RE: AWMS Client usage

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 04:08 PM

Awesome.  Wish I could have solved it over the thread, but it seems that this case requires a deeper dive into the AirWave code to debug.