Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

Posted Apr 27, 2018 10:44 AM

Hi experts,

I have a customer that has two controllers in an active-standby topology running ArubaOS 6.5.3. It wants to upgrade to ArubaOS 8.2 and for that reason I have browsed the ArubaOs 8.x Migration Guide. I have seen most of the options are to migrate to Mobility Master. Without a Mobility Master, will the option to migrate to use be "Migrating Master-Local Setup to Master Controller Mode in ArubaOS 8.x"? If so, is there any other thing to take into account for the migration?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

Posted Apr 27, 2018 11:16 AM

Hi guys,

I have read the article Migrating to ArubaOS 8: What to Expect and How to Get Started and has a link to this excellent tool over on the Aruba Solution Exchange site, which cleared some doubts for me. So, clearly an ArubaOS 8.x solution with Mobility Master is recommended. But I have browsed the ArubaOS 8.x User Guide and is huge. Because my customer wants to upgrade very soon, I don't think I will have time to learn about ArubaOS 8.x with Mobility Master properly. So, an option would be to migrate to standalone MCs:

options.JPG

Is this option anyway very different from ArubaOS 6.5.3? What is your recommendation? Is there any document/source for starting to learn about ArubaOS 8.x shorter than the ArubaOS 8.x User Guide?

Regards,

Julián

• 3.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 11:40 AM

What's driving the migration from a functional 6.5 network to 8.x? If it's new functionality available in 8.x, the Mobility Master is most likely a required component.

One thing to remember about 8.x deployments where a MM does not exist is that the MCM controller role in 8.x does not terminate AP connections. Prior to 8.x, a two controller setup could utilize active/backup master roles for the partial config sync between controllers, with VRRP between the two controllers to get APs connected to the active controller. With 8.x, the two controllers need to run as standalone (not master/MCM) in order to terminate APs. VRRP can still be used between the two standalone controllers, but the partial config sync is not performed since the two controllers are not in a master-local relationship.

• 4.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

Posted Apr 27, 2018 11:49 AM

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your interest. About this:

With 8.x, the two controllers need to run as standalone (not master/MCM) in order to terminate APs. VRRP can still be used between the two standalone controllers, but the partial config sync is not performed since the two controllers are not in a master-local relationship.

Do you mean config sync is not performed between the two controllers and then we need to configure the two controllers with the same configuration independently?

Regards,

Julián

• 5.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

Posted Apr 27, 2018 11:54 AM
    Correct

• 6.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 11:55 AM

@fjulianomwrote:

Do you mean config sync is not performed between the two controllers and then we need to configure the two controllers with the same configuration independently?

Correct.

For the config sync to take place, a controller needs to be in MCM mode ... but then it can't terminate AP connections. One controller could be MCM and the other a local, but then there's no redundancy for AP connections.

Adding a 3rd controller would provide the MCM and two locals, but if adding a 3rd controller why not just add a MM and get all the 8.x features?

• 7.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

Posted Apr 27, 2018 12:05 PM

Hi Charlie,

Then it is obvius a Mobility Master will be needed. As I said before, my customer wants to upgrade very soon, so I don't think I will have time to learn about ArubaOS 8.x properly (although I am ACMP 6.4 certified all my customers tend to implement Instant and then I forgot many things about controllers and their configuration). Then is there any document/source for starting to learn about ArubaOS 8.x shorter than the ArubaOS 8.x User Guide? Or any starting point?

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 12:18 PM

For something shorter than the AOS 8.x User Guide ... I found the HPE Press ACMA(v8) and ACMP(v8) books to be helpful. The ACMP(v8) book is long, but the ACMA(v8) book should help get you started.

You might also take a look at the AOS8 video guides here on Airheads: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/ArubaOS-8-Video-Series/td-p/298721

• 9.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

Posted Apr 27, 2018 12:27 PM

Hi Charlie,

Ok, I have just found also the following videos that will be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsYGHuNuBZcatGA1POy6iVpVlDTLYzNFE

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Julián

• 10.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

Posted Apr 30, 2018 11:11 AM

Hi Charlie,

One more thing about this. I was thinking about and realized that my customer will have to buy the Mobility Master, a new equipment. And all the customers that want to upgrade to ArubaOS 8.x also will have to buy this new equipment, if they want to take advantage of the new features. I think my customer will not be happy if I say he has to buy a new equipment for un upgrade. So, if he wants to upgrade to this version, he must pay. I know it isn't just a patch, but a new version, but the point customers have to buy a new equipment (which I guess it is not cheap) for an upgrade doesn't make sense to me. Do you know if this also happen with other vendors?

Regards,

Julián

• 11.  RE: About ArubaOS 8.2 and Mobility Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 30, 2018 12:32 PM

As you mentioned, AOS8 is not just a new firmware version or patch, but instead a new architecture for how services are delivered.

To keep their existing two controller setup, they can still use two controllers with VRRP for redundancy. As noted, the config sync does not take place, but otherwise the setup functions as a redundant pair.

To my knowledge, other wireless vendors do not provide config sync between controllers without the use of a separate management platform.

If there is no new functionality from AOS8 required for this customer, I would not recommend upgrading just to upgrade.