Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

About single chain legacy

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  About single chain legacy

Posted Apr 02, 2012 03:54 AM

Could anyone tell me whether the client connection will be lost if single chain legacy is enabled in the rf ht profile, which is being used by a producion ssid?

• 2.  RE: About single chain legacy
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2012 06:22 AM

Single chain legacy is a parameter that is needed for Cisco 7921 or 7925 VOIP devices when connecting to an AP125 access point that is broadcasting an 802.11n or HT SSID, specifically.  It should not be necessary for any other devices.  What device are you using it for, and why?

• 3.  RE: About single chain legacy

Posted Apr 02, 2012 06:31 AM

That's exact my combination of devices. Cisco 7921, 7925 VoIP with AP125 access point.

It's found that the voice quality with AP125 is not as good as AP65.

After some investigation, it's supposed that the problem might be because of MIMO of 11n AP but the phone is just running with b/g.

• 4.  RE: About single chain legacy
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2012 06:40 AM

Did you get your parameters to configure the Cisco VOIP phone from the Roaming VRD http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/DG_Roaming.pdf  It is important that the access points be configured with the ARM minimum and Maximum power in the document to ensure that the power of the AP matches the capability of the phone, otherwise the call quality will suffer.

On the Cisco phone, make sure the mode is only 802.11g and the scan mode is not "auto RSSI" and only scans the 802.11g band.

• 5.  RE: About single chain legacy

Posted Nov 15, 2012 10:28 PM

Thanks Collin i was facing today with this issue, and your post saved me from lot of troubleshooting!

It was a weird case because well at first they told me that they had issue with ip phones with that model, i had an extended ping to the ip phone, and i notice that everytime  the user call on an capable N AP in this case was a 93 AP the ping was unreachable to that phone and then it came back and had lot of packet lost...

We try then doing it on a ap 61 as they are replacing old aps 61 for 93, and well eveyrhting was good... so it sounds to me it was some kind of uncapibility.... i did a fast search ont he forum to see if there was something about this phone and voala your post hehe, also applied the change you mention on the template that is on the VRD... and now its working...

Anyways thanks man!

• 6.  RE: About single chain legacy

Posted Jan 21, 2014 03:40 PM

The link does not work http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/DG_Roaming.pdf 

404 Error: Page Not Found

• 7.  RE: About single chain legacy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2014 04:50 PM

Somehow the link got changed.  It is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/DG_Roaming.pdf

• 8.  RE: About single chain legacy

Posted Aug 20, 2015 10:23 AM

That link doesn't work anymore we have a lot of problems with Cisco 7921 and 7925 phones we are using AP 225's. Ever since we upgraded from Aruba os 5.4 to version 6.3+ and bought new controllers nothing but problems with those phones. They go into sleep mode then connect to a an AP that is very far away from the phone. They seem to be a big problem is there a Cisco phone model that works well which is newer?

• 9.  RE: About single chain legacy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2015 11:35 AM

The new link is here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Optimizing-Aruba-WLANs-for-Roaming-Devices/ta-p/155572

There are quite a few deployments that use the recommendations in the document for Cisco and work.  You should not have to change phones.