Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access Point Upgrade Question

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Access Point Upgrade Question

Posted Mar 06, 2019 09:05 AM

i have some IAP205's and IAP305's in the same cluster. I want to upgrade the firmware of these AP's but the 205's use the Taurus firmware and the 305's use the Ursa firmware. my question is if i apply the Taurus firmware to the cluster will it try to apply to the 305's as well? if so im thinking my only solution is to make a temp cluster and move the 305's to it and apply Ursa then move them back. 

The versions im applyin are:

ArubaInstant_Ursa_6.5.4.12_68901
    ArubaInstant_Taurus_6.5.4.12_68901

Policy 6.5.4

• 2.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2019 09:14 AM

You have to provide both Software Versions Ursa and Taurus from the same release to the Virtual Controller otherwise you cannot Upgrade.

If you make a "Temp Cluster" and upgrade only the 305´s they will not join the Instant Cluster of the 205`s. 

All IAP´s have to have the same Software Version to create a Cluster.

• 3.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:07 AM

yes i understand that. my question is in the firmware upgrade job it only allows you to place one firmware version at a time.

So what im wanting to know is if i apply the taurus firmware is the system smart enough to only apply the firmware to the 205 AP's? Or will it also try to apply the firmware to the 305 AP's.

If it only applies the firmware to the 205's then i can come back and apply the Uras to the same cluster and upgrade the 305's after the 205's are done. Then update the policy with no issue correct?

• 4.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:12 AM
      |   view attached

No, within the Maintanace Window you will get two Uplink Positions - as you will find in the attached picture.

And the System is smart enough to know which OS Version to place on which IAP.

• 5.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:15 AM

@cordless wrote:

No, within the Maintanace Window you will get two Uplink Positions - as you will find in the attached picture.

Thanks thats what i needed to know.

• 6.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:18 AM

@cordless wrote:

From the picture you have attached, this is done if the AP is the controller. sorry but i forgot to mention that im doing the upgrade via Airwvae AMP. The upgrade screen looks like this.

Capture2.PNG

• 7.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:14 AM

as you can see from this picture i have 205's and 305's in the same cluster with the same policy. when i apply the taurus firmware to this cluster will it only upgrade the 205's without trying to upgrade the 305's? i do not want to brick the 305's if the taurus firmware attempts to try and upgrade them. If the taurus firmware doesnt try to upgrade the 305's then i will come back after the 205's are updated and then apply the Uras to the same cluster to update the 305's. but i need to know if this way is possible.

Capture.PNG

• 8.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:26 AM

when i apply the taurus firmware to this cluster will it only upgrade the 205's without trying to upgrade the 305's?

No, if they are within the same cluster you have to provide both Software Versions before you can upgrade.

As shown in my attached picture you have to provide the Instant Cluster both Software versions Ursa and Taurus from the same release before you can upgrade the Cluster. I won´t Upgrade only one type of AP.

How do you manage the Instants? By Instant GUI, AirWave or Aruba Central?

• 9.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:48 AM

So with AirWave you first have to place the Firmware into the Software Repository - AW_FirmwareRepository.PNG

And after that you have to go to the Group where the Cluster is in and do an Upgrade on Group Level - Group_Firmware.PNG

Here you have to choose the Firmware you want to Upgrade to.

• 10.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

Posted Mar 06, 2019 11:06 AM

ok so just to confirm, as long as the taurus and the uras firmware are in the repository 
    Capture 3.PNG

and i click the "save and upgrade devices" button with the correct firmware

Capture2.PNG

it will apply the taurus to the 205's and the uras to the 305's at the same time to the devices in the cluster? correct?

• 11.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2019 11:53 AM

correct

• 12.  RE: Access Point Upgrade Question

Posted Mar 06, 2019 11:58 AM

thanks.