Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access Point antennae maximum extension

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Access Point antennae maximum extension

Posted Mar 13, 2018 11:23 PM
      |   view attached

Aruba access point comes with 1 or several antennae. I'm planning to install one AP near my network switch and pull the antennae out to the most needed coverage area.  

Does anyone know what is the maximum extension distance?  

• 2.  RE: Access Point antennae maximum extension

Posted Mar 14, 2018 02:25 AM

I would not recommend it unless it is very necessary. A longer RF cable means more losses. Why doont you extend UTP cable to the desired area and install AP there.

If you still need that information, contact one of the Aruba certified manufacturers mentioned @

http://www.arubanetworks.com/en-au/partners/ecosystem/enclosures-power-and-accessories/

Probably the longest cable they are offering will still be in line with Aruba's recommendations but I would still recommend take Access Point to the desired coverage area instead of antenna.

• 3.  RE: Access Point antennae maximum extension

Posted Mar 19, 2018 12:38 PM

The APs will be installed in the Industrialized area where natural gas will be exposed. AP will be inside a enclosed box inside and next to Class 1, Division 1, hazardous area. 

• 4.  RE: Access Point antennae maximum extension

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 14, 2018 03:50 AM

There's no strict limit on antenna cable length, but make sure to adjust the antenna gain number (uxed when provisioning the AP) with the RF loss introduced by any cabling.

Use a good quality cable to minimize this loss.

• 5.  RE: Access Point antennae maximum extension

Posted Mar 19, 2018 12:34 PM

Great... Thanks for your

@onnowrote:

There's no strict limit on antenna cable length, but make sure to adjust the antenna gain number (uxed when provisioning the AP) with the RF loss introduced by any cabling.

Use a good quality cable to minimize this loss.

input.