Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access Tracker shows lots of clients timeout

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Access Tracker shows lots of clients timeout

Posted Sep 16, 2014 11:37 PM

This summer we upgrade our controllers to 7210 and also implement clearpass as well. So this year I was noticed that on clearpass Access Tracker lots of timeouts and I was wondering why this is happeneing. If we are missing anything on either clearpass or the controller. I am attaching a few screenshots for your reference as well and I would really appreciate your help on this.

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 11.18.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-09-16 at 11.22.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-09-16 at 11.25.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 12.02.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-09-16 at 12.03.31 PM.png

Hope the information above will give you some idea of what we are facing and we are getting lots of complaints about disconnection of wireless connectivity. We doesn't had this issue last year with the Aruba 6000 controller with M3 and the Mac OS details are as shown below.

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 12.07.06 PM.png

Thanks and Regards,

Paul Mathew.

• 2.  RE: Access Tracker shows lots of clients timeout

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2014 12:09 AM

I would start with your wireless settings. If all you did was change controllers then you're most likely need to adjust signal or roaming. My first guess is that the user is bouncing between APs.

You could add a filter in access tracker and look at the AP name and see all auths are coming from the same AP. 

Im from the clearpass side so one of the Wireless engineers can chime in and give you some troubleshooting pointers. 

• 3.  RE: Access Tracker shows lots of clients timeout

Posted Sep 17, 2014 12:34 AM

Hi Troy,

This is not happened froma single AP it's happening all over the campus. What I noticed that after the timeout theclient will associate in 10 to 50 sec time. Is there anything we are missing in clearpass or the controller especially on the AAA server or L2 Auth settings. 

Thanks for your help and support.

Paul Mathew

• 4.  RE: Access Tracker shows lots of clients timeout

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2014 12:46 AM

I understand that its happening all over campus and I was suggesting that you just look at one client and see if they are connected to an AP then either roam or get moved by client match and see if that is the issue.

Im not saying that is the issue but It will give you a starting point.

Timeout is normally an issue with the client not responding to a challenge or there is to much latency in the wired/wireless side.

If it was a bunch of failed auths then I would first point to CPPM.

From what it sounds like without looking at it live. Your clearpass and AAA settings are fine. You need to look into the settings on the SSID. 

Power levels

Is client match enabled

thresholds

ETC

@cjoseph do you have any thoughts

• 5.  RE: Access Tracker shows lots of clients timeout

Posted Sep 17, 2014 01:21 AM

Yes from the Access Tracker I can see that the client was connected to the same AP before the timeout and also associated to the same AP after the timeout. In some cases the client hooked to a near by AP.

Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 9.19.43 AM.png

Is this fix related to our issue or something else? This is on the release note for ClearPass 6.4

Also I will get you teh other details.

Thanks

Paul Mathew

• 6.  RE: Access Tracker shows lots of clients timeout

Posted Sep 28, 2014 02:34 AM

Hi Guys,

I made a small change on the SSID Virtual AP Profile which is I change the steering mode to Balance-Bands instead of prefer-5GHz.

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 10.32.26 AM.png

Now I am not getting any timeout on the CPPM.

Thanks for all your help.

Paul Mathew.