Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access, monitor, spectrum monitor and background spectrum monitoring mode clarification

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Access, monitor, spectrum monitor and background spectrum monitoring mode clarification

Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:29 PM

Hi experts,

Please, I need a clarification about all these modes of an Aruba AP:

1. Access mode: AP serves clients, and provides IDS and containment for the home channel.
    2. Monitor mode: AP doesn't serve clients, and provides IDS and containment for all the channels.
    3. Spectrum monitor mode: AP doesn't serve clients, and provides IDS and spectrum analysis for visualization of RF interference for all the channels (no containment).
    4. Background spectrum monitoring or hybrid mode: AP serves clients, and provides IDS and spectrum analysis for visualization of RF interference for the home channel (no containment).

I believe I am missing something. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Access, monitor, spectrum monitor and background spectrum monitoring mode clarification

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:49 PM

5. Radio Disabled.

• 3.  RE: Access, monitor, spectrum monitor and background spectrum monitoring mode clarification

Posted Sep 18, 2018 06:20 PM

Hi Colin,

I didn't mean how many modes the AP can operate, but if the modes I listed operate as I have explained.

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Access, monitor, spectrum monitor and background spectrum monitoring mode clarification

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 09:21 PM

That is correct.

• 5.  RE: Access, monitor, spectrum monitor and background spectrum monitoring mode clarification

Posted Sep 19, 2018 10:05 AM

Hi,

But if that's correct, I don't understand the access mode:

1. Access mode: AP serves clients, and provides IDS and containment for the home channel

My IAP is access mode and operating at channels 6 and 140, but is detecting rogue and interfering APs in other channels:

ids.png

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: Access, monitor, spectrum monitor and background spectrum monitoring mode clarification

Posted Sep 19, 2018 10:12 AM

• 7.  RE: Access, monitor, spectrum monitor and background spectrum monitoring mode clarification

Posted Sep 21, 2018 03:31 PM

Hi Toys-Toys,

Good point, then it would be like this:

1. Access mode: AP serves clients, and provides IDS and containment for all the channels in the regulatory domain the AP operates.
    2. Monitor mode: AP doesn't serve clients, and provides IDS and containment for all the channels in all the regulatory domains.
    3. Spectrum monitor mode: AP doesn't serve clients, and provides IDS and spectrum analysis for visualization of RF interference for all the channels in all the regulatory domains (no containment).
    4. Background spectrum monitoring or hybrid mode: AP serves clients, and provides IDS and spectrum analysis for visualization of RF interference for the home channel (no containment).

Is that correct?

Regards,

Julián