Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding a 2nd Default gateway

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Adding a 2nd Default gateway

Posted Nov 07, 2018 09:16 PM

This might sound trivial, but I currently have a DMZ controller used for RAPS. It's default gateway is pointed to the inside interface IP of my firewall NAT going out to the Internet using a dedicated port to my DMZ network. I have another port on the controller connected to my corporate trusted network where I'm able to manage the controller from. The controller IP is using an IP from the corporate subnet. I'm able to provision RAPS on the Internet without issues, but recently I have a need to provision CAP's on my corporate network. I'm not able to provision an AP using the controller IP on my corporate network. I'm assuming this is because I dont' have a default gateway on the controller pointed to my corporate vlan interface IP. If I add a second default gateway to the controller pointed to the  vlan interface IP will I be able to also provision AP's to this controller? I'm assuming this will work I don't have time to lab this up test this. 

• 2.  RE: Adding a 2nd Default gateway
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2018 02:38 AM

You can't have two default gateways for this purpose. You can add a network route for your internal network to the internal router. If your internal ip space is 10.0.0.0/8, you can route that to the internal router. All other traffic will still go to the internet.

Connecting devices like controllers in multiple subnets might raise security concerns if they bridge a firewall. So make sure your design is evaluated for security. 

• 3.  RE: Adding a 2nd Default gateway

Posted Nov 09, 2018 05:50 PM

I decided against it as you stated DMZ controllers should only terminate DMZ traffic on them. 

• 4.  RE: Adding a 2nd Default gateway

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2018 06:08 PM
    This is a great opportunity to use MultiZone.