Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding a Vlan to existing trunk between a 6000 and Cisco 6509

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Adding a Vlan to existing trunk between a 6000 and Cisco 6509

Posted Oct 19, 2012 01:07 PM

I have a 6000 controller configured with a port channel to a Cisco 6509.  I need to add a vlan to that trunk.  I have seen that I can add the Vlan to the port channel on the aruba controller, but not to the physical ports that are a member of the port channel.   Is the correct method to do so:  disable one of the physical ports, remove it from the port channel, add the vlan to the physical port, move it back into the port channel and then enable it again?  Then do the same for the second physical port?

Is this any easier to accomplish via the aruba Controller GUI? 

thanks,

Dave

• 2.  RE: Adding a Vlan to existing trunk between a 6000 and Cisco 6509

Posted Oct 19, 2012 11:01 PM

There is no need to add the configuration to the physical port, the port-channel is the configuration that is applied when a physical port is added to a port-channel.

The command would be:

conf t

interface port-channel <X>

switchport trunk allowed vlan add <XXX>

• 3.  RE: Adding a Vlan to existing trunk between a 6000 and Cisco 6509

Posted Oct 22, 2012 10:00 AM

Also, depending on how you plan on using this VLAN, you may want to configured it as a "TRUSTED" VLAN on the Aruba controller.

• 4.  RE: Adding a Vlan to existing trunk between a 6000 and Cisco 6509

Posted Oct 22, 2012 12:33 PM

Ok its the case if the physical port is added to the port channel, but is it also the case if the physical port is already in the port channel?  I added the vlan to the port channel config, but it is not replicated in the configuration for the two physical ports that are members of the port channel.  Seems like I would need to take them out of the port channel and add them back in, or take them out, add the vlan to them, and add them back in? 

thanks,

Dave

• 5.  RE: Adding a Vlan to existing trunk between a 6000 and Cisco 6509
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 22, 2012 12:52 PM

Where are you asking about the port channel?  On Cisco 6509 or on the Aruba controller?  On the Aruba controller if you issue the command "show vlan", you should see the VLANs part of the port channel group which is all you need.  On Cisco's end it should be the same as well.  You do not need to add the vlans to individual ports as well for ports that are part of a port channel.

-Mike

• 6.  RE: Adding a Vlan to existing trunk between a 6000 and Cisco 6509

Posted Oct 22, 2012 01:29 PM

OK Thanks Mike, I was referring to the Aruba side but good to know on the Cisco side as well.   The person that was working with me on the config thought that the physical ports would need to be configured for the vlan also.  Thanks for the replies.

Dave

• 7.  RE: Adding a Vlan to existing trunk between a 6000 and Cisco 6509

Posted Oct 22, 2012 01:06 PM

Dave,

This is correct.  When you make a configuration change to the port-channel, it does NOT change the physical port configuration.....nor does it need to.  The port is part of the port-channel, so it will assume that configuration.  If you remove a physical port, then it will resume using the configuration for that port itself.  If you want to edit the individual port, you need to remove it from the port-channel first.