Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding a second campus - deploy additional mobility master?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Adding a second campus - deploy additional mobility master?

Posted Nov 26, 2018 10:45 AM

I'm about to be adding a second physically separate campus with unrelated wifi SSIDs.  I'm definitely going to be deploying a second cluster of physical controllers, but I'd like to use one airwave appliance for monitoring.  

As far as the Mobility Master is concerned, what's the correct architecture?  There's fiber connectivity between the campuses, but I'm not clear on the advantages or disadvantages of one approach vs the ohter.

• 2.  RE: Adding a second campus - deploy additional mobility master?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 26, 2018 11:00 AM

You can deploy the  cluster to the same mobility master, as long as the cluster has reachability to the mobility master to receive instructions.  It is important to note that you should not create anything  besides a folder directly under "Managed Network" (/md), because all clusters and controllers would have to share that configuration.  Create a NEW folder under "Managed Network" (/md) and define your WLANs, etc under that folder.  You can then create your cluster/mds under that new folder so that they will not share the configuration of your existing clusters at a different campus.

• 3.  RE: Adding a second campus - deploy additional mobility master?

Posted Nov 26, 2018 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info!  Our implementation vendor added our controllers directly in /md - not surprising as they seem to have skipped a lot of best practices.

Can I create a new folder under /md for campus 2, or will it inherit all of the configuration from campus 1?  Or is there a way to move the configuration to another level of the hierarchy?