Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

This thread has been viewed 42 times
  • 1.  Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

Posted Jun 21, 2012 08:46 AM

I have the opportunity to deploy a number of dedicated AP's as either AM's or SM's. With the advent of the Spectrum Monitor do they know supersede Air Monitors? or should I consider deploying some of each?

• 2.  RE: Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2012 08:49 AM

bjackson, 

The big question is "What are your requirements for spectrum and air monitoring"?

• 3.  RE: Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

Posted Jun 21, 2012 11:01 AM

I don't have any specific requirements defined. I would like to be able identify RF issues and eliminate rogue AP's when identified. 

• 4.  RE: Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2012 11:04 AM
    Starting with ArubaOS 6.1.3.0, you can serve clients, do air monitoring functions and monitor the spectrum of the home channel of the ap.

This might be what you want..

• 5.  RE: Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

Posted Jul 05, 2012 02:58 PM

It appears that the Spectrum monitor uses an AP license on the controller where an Air Monitor does not?

I had understood that RF Protect was required but I did not realize that each Spectrum Monitor takes an AP license. I thought that was only the case if an AP was used as a Hybrid and also served clients.

• 6.  RE: Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 05, 2012 03:16 PM

APs as spectrum monitors and in Air monitor mode both consume an ap license.

• 7.  RE: Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

Posted Jul 05, 2012 03:50 PM

Was that always the case? I had been under the impression that Air Monitors did not use a license.

• 8.  RE: Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 05, 2012 04:15 PM

It is mesh APs that do not broadcast a wireless network that do not consume a license.

Please examine chapter 35 of the ArubaOS 6.1 user guide, "Licensing".

• 9.  RE: Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

Posted Mar 10, 2013 08:11 PM

Inorder to get the option mode Spectrum monitor under radio profiles we need RF protect licnese.

Does that answers your question ?

• 10.  RE: Air Monitor vs Spectrum Monitor

Posted Jul 17, 2018 07:27 AM

AM: Air Monitor Aps do not support user connectivity. They are dedicated to constantly scan the radio environment, gathering Intrusion Detection System (IDS) and Layer 2 information. Like Rogue APs etc.

SA: Spectrum APs have been setup (temporarily or permanently) to capture radio singals for analysis. APs that gather spectrum data across all operation channels, but to not service clients, are called Spectrum Monitors (SM). APs that DO service clients and also gather spectrum data on the channel of operation are said to be operating in hybrid mode.