Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirGroup and IPv6

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AirGroup and IPv6

MVP
    Posted Mar 12, 2013 10:01 AM

Hello all, 

We have Aruba OS 6.1.3.6-airgroup installed on all of our controllers and are having trouble getting Airplay to work over vlans/subnets. 

It wasn't until I enabled IPv6 on the master controller that started it to work, across vlans/subnets, flawlessly. I did read somewhere that it's not a good thing to leave IPv6 enabled.

Thoughts?

• 2.  RE: AirGroup and IPv6

Posted Mar 13, 2013 04:08 AM

I don't know where you would have read that it's not a good idea to leave ipv6 on? It could be a security recommendation for those not familiar with it, but I can't see why it would be an issue as long as your firewall rules were appropriately set for users? I suppose it might load the CPU more than necessary if you aren't using it? In fact, I actually had to enable it for a customer recently who uses IPv6 as the primary and preferred protocol (human genetic stuff).

The only reason in your case I can think that it started to work after enabling it, would be that the transmitting client was actually using IPv6? I've noticed some clients these days will use IPv6 in preference to IPv4 if they get issued and IPv6 address or have one configured. Is that possible in your case? Check the client settings, or sniff its transmit packets to check?

• 3.  RE: AirGroup and IPv6

MVP
    Posted Mar 14, 2013 10:31 AM

Speaking with Aruba techs, they say they have seen this before with other customers and that enabling Proxy ARP has solved the problem. I'll keep this updated on the result.

• 4.  RE: AirGroup and IPv6
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Mar 15, 2013 11:08 AM

Nevermind. We needed to open up various ports on our ACLs between the VLANS as per Aruba's instruction...

------

Recommended Ports

The ArubaOS role-based access controls for wireless clients use ACLs to allow or deny user traffic on specific ports. Even though mDNS discovery uses the predefined port UDP 5353, application-specific traffic for services like AirPlay may use dynamically selected port numbers. Best practices are to add or modify ACLs to allow traffic on the ports described in Table 24 and Table 25.

AirPlay operates using dynamic ports, but printing protocols like AirPrint use fixed ports.

ArubaOS 6.1.3.6-AirGroup | Deployment Guide Best Practices and Limitations | 65

Ports for AirPlay Service

Enable the following ports for the AirPlay service.

Table 24 Ports for AirPlay Service

Protocol

Ports

TCP

49152-65535

UDP

49152-65535

Ports for AirPrint Service

Enable the ports in Table 25 to allow AirGroup devices to access AirPrint services. Table 25 Ports for AirPrint Service

Protocol

Print Service

Port

TCP

Datastream

TCP

IPP

TCP

HTTP

TCP

Scanner

TCP