Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirPlay mirroring

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  AirPlay mirroring

Posted Mar 08, 2012 10:45 AM

I'm trying to get AirPlay to work between an iPad and an AppleTV via my Aruba infrastructure.  I realize that AirPlay is not an enterprise setup by any means, but I'm just trying to get it functioning in a very small, controlled test.

I have the two devices in an SSID and subnet all by themselves with these settings:

• firewall is set to allow all
    • Virtual AP profile > multicast optimization, drop broadcast/multicast, deny interuser traffic, and arp conversion all unchecked

The devices connect and show up with the appropriate firewall settings in the controller and can see each other.  The AppleTV shows up as an option and mirroring can be turned on.  The iPad attempts to send video and then promptly stops 5 seconds later.  Nothing changes on the AppleTV.  Bonjour is working because the option to mirror shows up, but the final connection doesn't seem to be taking place.  What setting am I missing?

Mike

• 2.  RE: AirPlay mirroring

Posted Mar 08, 2012 11:32 AM

For anyone who finds this later - IPv6 support must be enabled on the firewall.  After that was turned on, everything functions as expected.

Mike

• 3.  RE: AirPlay mirroring

Posted Mar 08, 2012 11:35 PM

Hi

We got to be very careful though since mDNS (using IPv6) is aggressively chatty and can cause performance problem due to broadcast/multicast (BCMC) nature in the protocol if not network segmentized improperly. Please make sure you check the Validated Reference Design (VRD) Guide http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/  to optimize the BCMC technique.

Cheers,

• 4.  RE: AirPlay mirroring

Posted Apr 13, 2012 04:18 AM

Hello,

Did you enable IPv6 on the firewall from the Stateful Firewall>Globnal Settings section?

Or do I need to look somewhere else?

Many thanks,

H

• 5.  RE: AirPlay mirroring

Posted Jul 17, 2012 05:26 PM

I was having the same issue.

I had Drop Broadcast and Multicast, Convert Broadcast ARP Requests to Unicast and Deny Inter User Traffic all unselected under the Virtual AP Profile, but was unable to get AirPlay to work. 

Under Stateful Firewall - Global Settings - Deny Inter User Bridging and Deny Inter User Traffic were selected.  After deselecting these options, AirPlay worked. 

Note: IPv6 is disabled!  Enable IPv6 Stateful Firewall and Deny Inter User Bridging IPv6 options are selected.

Running Aruba OS 6.1.3.1

• 6.  RE: AirPlay mirroring

Posted Sep 21, 2012 11:22 AM

Enabling IPv6 was the fix for me as well. After doing this every user in the user-table had a corresponding IPv6 address. Does anyone have a better solution than enabling IPv6, or an explanation as to why this is necessary?

Here is my environment:

VAP Settings:

-Convert BC arp requests to unicast = unchecked

-Deny inter user traffic = unchecked

-Drop BC/MC = unchecked

Controller Settings

-Stateful FW

-Deny inter user bridging & traffic = unchecked for ipv4 & ipv6.

-Default settings for rest.

Before 'ipv6 enable' & 'enable ipv6 stateful firewall' were selected, i was seeing DENYs in the datapath session table from the iPad to the Apple TV. After I enabled both, problems went away and user-table filled up with ipv6 address.

Appreciate any clarification.

Thanks

• 7.  RE: AirPlay mirroring

Posted Oct 04, 2013 03:55 PM

"Before 'ipv6 enable' & 'enable ipv6 stateful firewall' were selected, i was seeing DENYs in the datapath session table from the iPad to the Apple TV. After I enabled both, problems went away and user-table filled up with ipv6 address."

You stated that it was enabled. and then the problem went away after enabled? Was it suppose to say disable?

I'm having same problem. SSID is on same subnet/vlan as a wired apple tv. I can see the appletv but can not mirror to it. Just get a black screen.

What command are you running to the denys in teh datapath session?