Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave 8.x config, discovery and WMS Offload

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  AirWave 8.x config, discovery and WMS Offload

Posted Aug 17, 2017 04:05 AM

Dear All,

1. Having All Masters architecture, Adding to AMP only active Master will also automatically add Standby and populate its configuration to AMP? Or each should be addes manually.

2. With OEM controllers like ALU or Dell is it possible to add a device to AMP using: Device Setup -> Add -> Aruba device, instead of using 'Alcatel-Lucent OAW' or 'Dell Controller'?

The only difference between 'Aruba Device' and those two others is SNMPv3 Auth Protocol setting (SHA-1 for Aruba and MD5 for ALU and Dell), which I believe is wrong. At least AMP docs underline SNMPv3 Auth Protocol should always be SHA-1.

3. I want to have full stats on AMP with event corelation, so I would like to have a WMS Offload 'copy' on AMP without actual full WMS Offloading from master controllers (it is small network, no big load on controllers).

To achieve this, is it enought to config:

AMP Setup -> General -> Device Configuration (tab) 'Allow WMS Offload configuration in monitor-only mode' = YES, and

Group -> Basic -> Aruba (tab) Offload WMS Database = NO ?

AirWave Best Practices Guide is a bit confusing on this.

• 2.  RE: AirWave 8.x config, discovery and WMS Offload

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 17, 2017 04:40 AM

1.  It will attempt to add the standby controller for monitoring automatically, as well as any other local controllers seen in the master.  It will attempt to use the Device Setup> Communication SNMP communities to poll standby and local controllers to add them, however.  If the SNMP community on each standby or local controller does not match what is in Device Setup> Communication for your manufacturer, you will have to open each discovered controller manually in Airwave and edit the SNMP string to ensure that polling begins.

2.  I have never tried to add an OEM manufacturer using the wrong manufacturer.  I do not know.

3.  You can certainly get full controller stats without AMP offload.  AMP offload is an older feature that would be used to correlate IDS/IPS information between master/master controllers.  It was also used to have AMP share the load of computing WLAN data (in general) with the controller.  I would avoid AMP offload today, because it is not needed and it involves some complexity.  It is in the best practices guide for completeness, but I am not sure it is needed these days.

• 3.  RE: AirWave 8.x config, discovery and WMS Offload

Posted Aug 19, 2017 09:31 AM

Thank you, cjoseph

Went through documentation and AMP GUI and is there a way to import 3rd party MIBs for devices not mentioned in AMP Device->Add list?

• 4.  RE: AirWave 8.x config, discovery and WMS Offload

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 19, 2017 12:38 PM

There is not, unfortunately.