Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airgroup Active-Domain Status

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airgroup Active-Domain Status

Posted Apr 24, 2014 10:58 AM

All-

Can someone fill me in as to what condition might cause an Airgroup Active-Domain to have a status of "Excluded"?

Thanks-

Kevin

• 2.  RE: Airgroup Active-Domain Status

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2014 03:58 PM

Because you have not added it to the "active domain" list.  Quite frankly, you should start off using Airgroup without using domains and get the hang of it.  "Domains" is an advanced topic for multiple controllers, but absolutely not necessary to run airgroup.  It can even make things more complicated if you really just want to get things up and running.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/AirGroup/Integrated_Deployment_Model.htm

• 3.  RE: Airgroup Active-Domain Status

Posted Apr 24, 2014 04:20 PM

I think I did:

(ArubaMaster) #show airgroup active-domains

AirGroup Active-Domains
    -----------------------
    Domain Name                      Status
    -----------                      ------
    ProdControllers-Airgroup_Domain  Excluded
    Num active-domains:1

From Running Config:

airgroup domain "ProdControllers-Airgroup_Domain"
      ip-address "172.30.0.74"
      ip-address "172.30.0.72"
      ip-address "172.30.0.71"
      ip-address "172.30.0.73"
    !
    airgroup active-domain "ProdControllers-Airgroup_Domain"
    !

In any case, don't I need a domain in a Master-Local topology in order to allow mDNS to traverse local controllers? Wouldn't the local controller recive an mDNS packet from a connected client, then convert to unicast and send to Airgroup clients that the Local controller knows about (but not other local controllers)?  Or am I not getting that right?

• 4.  RE: Airgroup Active-Domain Status

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2014 05:08 PM

The big question is, do you need to have a user connect to a resource that is not on the controller that they are on?  Most people do not want to extend reachability of mdns devices outside a user's area of say, the same building.

• 5.  RE: Airgroup Active-Domain Status

Posted Apr 24, 2014 06:33 PM

I am not 100% I can answer that question just yet.  I can see a student on the academic side of campus wanting to discover resources in their dorm room.

At this point, I was trying to gauge how well it works and test some scenarios... which is when I ran into the Excluded issue.

So my big question stands: why would an airgroup domain list as excluded when I believe I have it properly configured and active.

• 6.  RE: Airgroup Active-Domain Status

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2014 07:11 PM

If an AirGroup domain which does not contain the local controller’s own IP address, is activated, it will be listed as excluded

• 7.  RE: Airgroup Active-Domain Status
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 29, 2014 02:25 PM

Ok, figured this out.

Used the VRRP address and everything was fine - evidently using the controllers native address is not enough in the case where a VRRP address is used as an LMS IP. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• 8.  RE: Airgroup Active-Domain Status

Posted Aug 11, 2015 09:43 AM

@kjspgd wrote:

Ok, figured this out.

Used the VRRP address and everything was fine - evidently using the controllers native address is not enough in the case where a VRRP address is used as an LMS IP. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Had the same exact issue running OS 6.4.2.9. spent hours troubleshooting and then I found your post which solves it :)

Thanks !