Wireless Access

Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

Re: Airgroup and Apple TV - almost works!!!

This has been a very helpful thread. I'm troubleshooting the same thing in my lab environment. I was able to do Airplay just fine between networks, but not mirroring. The only way I could get the mirroring to function was by disabling NAT on the client VLAN.

Maybe I'm missing something simple here, but how am i supposed to allow my clients to access public addresses if they cannot be NAT'd to a public IP? Would this require a seperate device to perform the NAT?

Network Engineer | Airhead | Titus 3:5
Highlighted
Guru Elite

Separate Device for Nat....

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

Thanks. I'll test this out in my lab. I'm currently running 6.1.3.4-AirGroup. Is it recommended to update to 6.1.3.5 yet or is 6.1.3.4-AirGroup more stable?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

6.1.3.5 does not have Air group. Do not upgrade to that if you need that feature.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Regular Contributor I

Thanks, I thought I had read that it would be available in 6.1.3.5, but I must have missunderstood.

Highlighted
Contributor II

Hello we are having an issue where we cannot connect to apple TV if its on a different subnet, Apple TV works fine if your on the same subnet connects,mirroring all works.

We have a controller with Airgroup enabled, so if I'm on a different subnet than the apple TV I can see the apple TV and try to connect, it tries for about 5 to 10 seconds but doesn't connect.

NAT is not enabled I checked and also otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect on the same subnet. Any ideas?

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Make sure iPv6 is disabled on the client and try again.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Contributor II

Well a long awaited update and not all good news...

Airgoup still SORT of works.

This is the typical scenario we have to run through.

1. Start Apple TV
  2. Connect via ipad (seems to work OK first time)
  3. Teacher disconnects (or ipad goes to black screen due to time out and Apple TV disconnects and returns to menu screen)
  4. Try and reconnect - no airplay option on ipad.
  5. Run a show airgroup servers command and Apple TV not listed.
  6. Turn Airplay off and on (or restart) and appears back in list - BUT NOT AS OPTION ON IPAD
  7. Wait....wait.....wait....wait...start to yell and curse.....no airplay option....
  8. Check Dashboard on Controller - AppleTV is listed as server and ipad is listed as an Airgroup user - but still no airplay option....
  9. Keep waiting.....turn wireless on and off on ipad (or airplane mode)
  10. HOORAY - Airplay option appears.....
  11. Go to step 2 and repeat until you drive yourself insane....

It just seems really flakey and unreliable. The local vendor has no idea on how to troubleshoot and blames the Apple devices.

Has ANYONE got this running stable in their live environment??? If so would you be kind enough to share the setup?

What we have here is the following:

Wireless SSID using 802.1x that staff connect to via CPPM and are assigned a 10.1.x.x address on VLAN 20

Apple TV SSID that we connect Apple TV to via MAC authentication and is assigned 10.1.x.x address on VLAN 20

No NAT is occuring. All the remainder is the same as earlier posts regarding dropping multicast etc.

Anyone??

Cheers

Wally

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Wally,

Please open a case in parallel in the event that you do not have the same symptoms that others do.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Contributor II

Wally,

Those 11 steps you outlined are spot on for me.  I've been having trouble with the Apple TV and the current 'fix' is precisely what you layed out.

I'm curious - does you mdns process crash at all?

#show process monitor statistics

Name                                    State                               Restarts Allowed   Restarts Timeout Value    Timeout Chances Time Started

/mswitch/bin/mdns             PROCESS_RUNNING       -                         130          240                         5                Fri Jan 25 11:04:00 2013

The controller has only been up for 20 hours too since I rebooted it. I have a ticket open for the crashes - but I'm not sure if it is releated to the Apple TV disappearing after the first connection like you mention.

For us the crashes seem to be related to number of devices - during winter break with far less people on campus the MDNS service didn't crash at all.  I was curious if there was a way to limit airgroup users from being allowed or showing up.

What I mean is I have most VLANs disabled - so the only devices that show up in show airgroup servers are those devices in the allowed vlans; however in the show airgroup users I get all devices on campus that can be clients (in any vlan).  I'm not sure if this is by design or not but I'd like to try not allowing them to see if it fixes our numbers issue.

I like being able to get to the allowed devices from any vlan on campus (would prefer that), but if for the time being mdns isn't going to be stable with that many users - is there a way for me to limit it?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: