Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airgroup and IGMP Proxy/Snooping

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Airgroup and IGMP Proxy/Snooping

Posted May 07, 2020 11:18 AM

I'm running AOS 8.5 with a VMM and two 7240 MDs. When setting up Airgroup (centralized), is IGMP Proxy/Snooping needed on a VLAN of the MD to allow multicast traffic through? I haven't seen it referenced in the Airgroup documentation, but it seems like IGMP Proxy/Snooping would need to be allowed. How about the wireless VLAN interfaces on the router to which an MD is connected, is ‘ip pim sparse-mode’ needed on those interfaces? Thanks in advance to any guidance you may give.

• 2.  RE: Airgroup and IGMP Proxy/Snooping

Posted May 07, 2020 12:05 PM
    What are you trying to accomplish with Airgroup ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Airgroup and IGMP Proxy/Snooping

Posted May 07, 2020 01:56 PM

I want to allow BYODs in residence halls of a university campus to be able to 'talk' to each other. We have lots of students that bring in devices, such as lighting controls, TVs, and media streamers, that can be controlled from a smart phone. Most of these devices, if not all, end up on different vlans and aren't able to see each other.

• 4.  RE: Airgroup and IGMP Proxy/Snooping

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 28, 2020 10:51 AM

No. As Bonjour multicasts are link local, IGMP is not used to join/leave the multicast group. There's no IGMP associated with the multicast DNS requests to proxy or snoop for.