Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airgroup users and servers mirroring

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Airgroup users and servers mirroring

Posted Sep 22, 2020 12:42 PM

Am I correct in saying that a feature of Airgroup is that a 'user' cannot mirror to another 'user' despite both devices being on the same VLAN, with that VLAN removed from the disallowed list in the Airgroup profile and registered to the same person, with Airplay enabled? For example: a user (iPad) cannot Airplay to another user (MacBook) as there is no server involved in the mirroring process. But with all of the same settings applied a user (iPhone) can Airplay to a server (Apple TV) because there is a server involved in the mirroring process. 

• 2.  RE: Airgroup users and servers mirroring

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2020 01:24 PM

A device should be able to be a user, as well as a server.

• 3.  RE: Airgroup users and servers mirroring

Posted Sep 24, 2020 06:05 AM

Most devices (such as iPads, Macbooks etc) are automatically profiled as users, and appear in the airgroup user table. From the testing that we have carried out, there must be a server involved in the process for mirroring to take place i.e. Apple TV (unless the user is running a mirroring app on their device). Is there a way of converting a user to a server, on the controller perhaps? 

• 4.  RE: Airgroup users and servers mirroring

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2020 06:31 AM
      |   view attached

To be specific, devices are profiled based on the services that they are searching for (users) or the services they advertise (servers).  Are you saying that you cannot get a user to mirror to another device?

You should try "show airgroup blocked-queries" or "show airgroup blocked-service-id" to see if your devices end up in there.

I am also attaching the "Airgroup Deployment Guide", because for some reason it is not on ASP.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    AirGroup_Deployment_Guide.pdf   2.58 MB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Airgroup users and servers mirroring

Posted Sep 24, 2020 06:53 AM

We have enabled airgroup functionality on our mac registration SSID, where the user receives an MPSK after registering their device on clearpass. Airgroup is also enabled on eduroam. As we have the 'enforce registration' option enabled I was of the understanding that any device not registered on clearpass will not be able to have airgroup functionality with another device not registered on clearpass i.e. eduroam -> eduroam airgroup functionality. So, at least one of the devices must be registered on clearpass to able to have airgroup capabilities. OR the user will have to somehow onboard their headless device (Apple TV) onto eduroam, which can be tricky (hence why we have created the MPSK service), which in theory would work, as the Apple TV is a server, advertising itself, which would mean the Apple TV would be able to discover the users other device (also not registered on clearpass), because there is a server involved in the process.

The scenario we are facing is a user cannot mirror from their iPad to their Macbook, with both devices on eduroam.