Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Clarity - slow dot1x auth and dhcp response times

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Airwave Clarity - slow dot1x auth and dhcp response times

Posted Jan 17, 2017 07:19 PM

Airwave is reporting slow authentication for all of my access points, on the order of 1700-7600ms.  DHCP is showing anywhere from 265-1700ms.  I'm wondering how this is determined and what I can do to fix it.

I verified the radius server selected for my dot1x authentication is the local one.  A ping from my controller to the server averages 158ms.  A ping to the DHCP server is about the same at 157ms.

What I find odd here is that the NPS server that authenticates our user traffic is on the same floor as the controllers and AP's with the highest auth response time.  The DHCP server is on the same hypervisor.

clarity.PNG

Any thoughts or misconfigurations I may have on my controller, or is this really just the slowness of the servers?

• 2.  RE: Airwave Clarity - slow dot1x auth and dhcp response times

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2017 08:25 PM
    A ping on a wired network from host to host should be 10 milliseconds or under (unless it is across a wan connection). Some wireless clients do not like 802.1x authentication that takes longer than 100 milliseconds. I would take a look at all your wired interfaces and see if you have errors or interface mismatches.

• 3.  RE: Airwave Clarity - slow dot1x auth and dhcp response times

Posted Jan 18, 2017 01:11 PM

Hey Colin,

Apologies -- I had someone else do the basic ping checks and assumed they were correct.  A typical ping to our NPS server is:

(aruba-01) #ping 10.1.1.1
    Press 'q' to abort.
    Sending 5, 92-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 0.134/0.1638/0.222 ms

One to the DHCP server is:

(aruba-01) #ping 10.1.1.2
    Press 'q' to abort.
    Sending 5, 92-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.2, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 0.135/0.1566/0.213 ms

So it is technically less than 1ms each way.  Is there any way to see in Airwave how it gathers/reports these metrics, or is this perhaps a server side issue?

I am going to run a wireshark capture on a device that joins our corporate SSID network to see how long between frames it takes to get a DHCP address.

• 4.  RE: Airwave Clarity - slow dot1x auth and dhcp response times

Posted Jan 18, 2017 01:29 PM

Seems pretty speedy to me except for the ACK.

dhcp.PNG

Since it does not appear to be our wired network causing the latency I'll assume it is the server itself.  Is there any way to drill into the metrics that Airwave has to show that type of information, or would I have to do another packet capture on the NPS server port to verify the time it takes for each frame to ingress/egress?

• 5.  RE: Airwave Clarity - slow dot1x auth and dhcp response times

Posted Jun 22, 2017 01:01 PM

I am experiencing the same issues.  How would you start troubleshooting this? 

clarity.png

• 6.  RE: Airwave Clarity - slow dot1x auth and dhcp response times

Posted Jun 22, 2017 01:22 PM

I attributed this to a known bug in Cisco switches that caused buffering issues.  We noticed that several million errors were coming in on ports throughout our network, but when we investigated it was really just output drops/discards due to buffer space limitations.  We recently upgraded our switches to 3.6.6E but found the bug was still present, so I'm hoping with the next release we can validate that this is not a switching issue.  I never followed up with the packet capture step.

The best option to troubleshoot this with a packet capture imo (if you have Cisco switches like we do) is to run a monitor capture on the port leading to your server where you're seeing these issues.  It will run inband captures from the IOS CLI, then you can dump to the bootflash and copy to a local machine for wireshark review.  Once you have that, you probably just need to create a view in wireshark to show the deltas from "time since first packet" and "time since last packet".  That should show you exactly where the latency is occurring.