Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

All RAPs Rebooting after a few hours

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  All RAPs Rebooting after a few hours

Posted Feb 09, 2014 10:55 PM

I've noticed that all of a sudden all of my RAP5s are rebooting after a few hours of uptime.  They're all rebooting within 10-20 minutes of one another.  The following message is logged for each RAP:

Reboot Reason: AP rebooted Fri Dec 31 16:33:36 PST 1999; Unable to set up IPSec tunnel after 85 tries

Should I assume this is a network issue where my externally facing controller resides?  The last change I made was upgrading from 6.2 to 6.3.  I only started to notice the issue days after rebooting, so I don't believe the upgrade is to blame, but I'm not 100% certain.  I'm going to look into our Internet circuit and perimeter network devices as the possible issue.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

• 2.  RE: All RAPs Rebooting after a few hours

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2014 05:04 AM

That is the first place that I would look, yes.  Do your RAP5s only connect to a single controller?

• 3.  RE: All RAPs Rebooting after a few hours

Posted Feb 10, 2014 08:34 AM

If I remember correctly, that value used to be 360 and during an upgrade to 6.2.x it changed to 85, increasing it back to 360 solved the issue BUT does not mean it is a fix, a network issue should be looked into .

To change that value navigate to AP group -> AP system profile -> advanced and look for the following below:

Increase that to 360.

Untitled.png

• 4.  RE: All RAPs Rebooting after a few hours
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 16, 2014 10:34 AM

Problem solved.  Was unrelated to the Aruba infrastructure.

• 5.  RE: All RAPs Rebooting after a few hours

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2014 12:46 PM

theCompnerd, Can you tell us what the issue is, so that users can add that to their checklist?

• 6.  RE: All RAPs Rebooting after a few hours

Posted Feb 16, 2014 01:08 PM

Here is what I can offer:

If RAPs are rebooting frequently and currently show active:

- Verify upstream bandwidth from the controller to the ISP is good.

- Verify operation of networking equipment between the RAP and the controller: switch <> firewall <> edge router <> ISP device.

- If all these check out, call TAC.

If RAPs are not currently active:

- Type "show crypto ipsec sa" to determine if the RAPs have an IPSec association, but just aren't showing online.

- If they are associating, but are not active ("show ap active"), then follow the steps above.