Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Android 7.x issues?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Android 7.x issues?

Posted May 01, 2017 12:42 PM

Our helpdesk has been getting numerous calls from users with android 7 devices...slow/no connectivity  and appears beyond the security changes for eap-peap....  I'll see the devices get authenticated - dhcp allocated an IP...  the device just somehow thinks it is not connected to the internet via the wifi link.

Colleague has 7.x device - it gets in this state intermittently - the last time he turned off cell radio and used a local packet capture tool.

The packet capture shows tcp handshakes to internet servers... but very minimal traffic received....    Not sure why these devices are considering themselves offline - is there a new internet detection algorithim in 7.x ?  Or has anyone noticed signifigant new bahvior in 7.x vs previous version of android.

So the thought is that reports of slow connectivty of android 7 devices is typically android thinking their wifi does not lead to the internet and is trying to use cell... in places were cell coverage is weak... concrete bunker lecture halls... etc...

• 2.  RE: Android 7.x issues?

Posted May 04, 2017 07:28 AM
    Hi,

I've been running Android 7.x for some time and haven't encountered this issue. Whilst this isn't the most helpful post to you it does highlight that it's not across the board and is likely an isolated incident.

• 3.  RE: Android 7.x issues?

Posted May 04, 2017 02:29 PM
    I have seen this intermittently on my device at the edge of wifi coverage areas. Phone wifi symbol has an x on it. Nexus 6p stock 7.1.2. No complaints from other users, so further investigation is taking a back seat for now.

#AirheadsMobile