Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Android: great signal, but after a while drops data

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Android: great signal, but after a while drops data

Posted Jan 30, 2012 10:55 PM

I've been working on this for while with TAC, but thought I'd try crowdsourcing a solution. We have master-master redundant 650 controllers, and 9 AP105s. Some android devices (at the very least a couple different Motorola Droid 3 phones running 2.3.4) connect fine, work great, and then after a while, data dies. No pings to the gateway, no web, no nothing. The only connectivity I see in the Aruba firewall is a few UDP requests to the DNS servers, but it does indicate some data is getting through. Reset the wifi on the Android, and everything is happy again... for a period of time. This happen with WEP, WPA2-PSK-AES, 802.1x, HT, no HT, and any other change in config TAC and I could come up with. Windows machines, iDevices and Macs and at some Androids seem to be fine so far.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or have any suggestions?

Thank you kindly!

• 2.  RE: Android: great signal, but after a while drops data

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2012 09:41 PM

Please let us know what you find.

• 3.  RE: Android: great signal, but after a while drops data

Posted Feb 02, 2012 12:32 AM
    I am currently working on a similar problem. We have Samsung galaxy 2s phones running 2.3.4. When you connect to the network you get a 54 data rate. Let the phone go to sleep and wake it up it drops speed. Repeat this a few time in the exact same location and you end up with 1M data rate. Eventually the device can not see the networks and drops the connection and reconnects back at 54. The AP105 is roughly 15 feet away. Other android manufactures work fine along with iOS and intermec handheld. The units have current software and firmware.

• 4.  RE: Android: great signal, but after a while drops data

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 02, 2012 05:35 AM

@ESP wrote:
    I am currently working on a similar problem. We have Samsung galaxy 2s phones running 2.3.4. When you connect to the network you get a 54 data rate. Let the phone go to sleep and wake it up it drops speed. Repeat this a few time in the exact same location and you end up with 1M data rate. Eventually the device can not see the networks and drops the connection and reconnects back at 54. The AP105 is roughly 15 feet away. Other android manufactures work fine along with iOS and intermec handheld. The units have current software and firmware.

The best thing you can do is to start user debugging for that device so that TAC can help diagnose.  I have an android phone as well, and I can tell you that the  the prolems are not limited to your device.

• 5.  RE: Android: great signal, but after a while drops data

Posted May 22, 2012 03:13 PM

Any news about this thread?

I have the same problem..

Aruba Controller 3600 Firmware Version: 6.1.3.1

40 AP-105

We have an average of 200 users connected. Only Galaxy S2 users have this problem.. Its connects to wifi, transfers some amount of data normaly and after about 3 minutes the data stops transfer. We cannot send pings to controller or any other device in our network. but the smartphone remains connected in wifi, with ip address..

• 6.  RE: Android: great signal, but after a while drops data

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2012 11:44 PM