Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Any experience with Ascom I62 phones on an Aruba Network?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Any experience with Ascom I62 phones on an Aruba Network?

Posted Jul 29, 2014 01:27 PM

Looking for any experince with the Ascom I62 phones working with an Aruba network. Currently moving from Meru and we're trialing out Aruba on 3 of our floors. Just looking for any lessons learned or any suggestions. Thanks

• 2.  RE: Any experience with Ascom I62 phones on an Aruba Network?

Posted Jul 29, 2014 03:57 PM

No personal expirence but here is a document with some info on the coolaboration.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/partners/PSB_Ascom.pdf

Of course this is not real world scenario and problems encountered.

• 3.  RE: Any experience with Ascom I62 phones on an Aruba Network?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2014 10:43 AM
      |   view attached

There is an AppNotes for Ascom on Aruba Networks: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/partners/AppNote_Ascom.pdf. I have attached an AppNote for Ascom on Aruba Instant.

Issues that  I have seen the lately with Ascom on Aruba:

- The Ascom i62 show significantely lower signal strengths than other devices. I have seen values up to 12 dB less signal than on a reference USB WLAN dongle. So you should prepare for stronger signals (however when moving from another WLAN solution that should not be different).

- Make sure for roaming that on every location, the phone has a roaming candidate with enough signal. Ascom scans every 5 seconds, so a roaming candidate should be available long enough at decent strength for roaming during a walk. I have seen constructions where AP's come and go within a few meters, roaming will be poor. Ascom advises to put AP's in edges and crossings of corridors (http://www.ascomwireless.com/pdf/guide/vowifi/ascom_vowifi_sp_92408gb.pdf).

- Make sure that the phone power is set to max if you experience connectivity/roaming issues.

- Update the Ascom firmware to a recent version. Older firmwares on the phone may provide poor results.

- Enable 802.11d (broadcast of regulatory domain information), otherwise the phone may be unwilling to connect on 5 GHz.

Herman

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Any experience with Ascom I62 phones on an Aruba Network?

Posted Aug 06, 2014 01:38 PM

Thanks, roaming doesn't seem to be an significant issue from what I can see. Our biggest problem is the clearaity of calls at random times and areas. QOS is working and we have the settings set accordingly the app notes on both phones and instant. We're currently running a trial network of 50 AP-220s using the instant.

• 5.  RE: Any experience with Ascom I62 phones on an Aruba Network?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2014 04:35 AM

If you experience call quality issues. please work with your partner and/or Aruba TAC.