Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Any reason why VRRP address is being used as gateway?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Any reason why VRRP address is being used as gateway?

Posted Nov 09, 2012 09:31 AM

Can anyone tell me if there is a genuine reason why the VRRP address would be used as the gateway/router address for a wireless network?  Ive found a couple of instances when looking at lease pools where the gateway address for a particular network has a vrrp address.  I would usually expect to to see the gateway of the actual network, not the vrrp.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Any reason why VRRP address is being used as gateway?

Posted Nov 09, 2012 09:33 AM

That is usually done for redundancy.  No matter which device is up at the time, the client will use the VIP addr.  That way, a failure may not cause a sustained outage.

• 3.  RE: Any reason why VRRP address is being used as gateway?

Posted Nov 09, 2012 09:51 AM

We have 8 wireless vlans... 6 of them point to the networks hsrp address, which is what I would expect.. and 2 of them point to arrubas vrrp address.  I would at least expect all 8 to follow the same configuraiton, and either all point to their appropriate networks hsrp address or, as you say, the vrrp address.

• 4.  RE: Any reason why VRRP address is being used as gateway?

Posted Nov 09, 2012 10:00 AM

Agree 100%.  I am not sure why some would point to the controller(s) and some would point to HSRP devices upstream.  It should be all one way or the other.  There are no features you would lose by having the traffic use upstream devices as their default gateway.  The controller still "sees" all the traffic and can allow/deny/queue it correctly.

I would say point them all at the upstream devices.  That will eliminate the possibility that an AP is on one controller and the VIP is owned by the other.  That situation SHOULDNT happen, but you never know.  Traffic would still get to the VIP, but it would sub-optimal.