Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Ap-205 and HP 1920S switch

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Ap-205 and HP 1920S switch

Posted Feb 07, 2018 07:35 AM

Hi,

in the past we used HP 1910 and 1920 switches without any issue.

Now this model has been replaced by the 1920S.

When hooking up an AP-205 i've remarked that the AP get's an ip, but never reaches the controller.  This only happens when vlan's are configured on the 1920S.  When i reset the switch the connection to the controller works (we then have a single vlan 1 on the switch).  I've been browsing through numerous options in the switch (port security, storm control, ingress filtering,...) but so far i've found no solution.  Putting the AP on an untagged vlan also is no solution.  Really looks like once different vlans are configured the AP cannot talk to the controller...  Anyone having similar issues?

We use fw PD.01.07.

• 2.  RE: Ap-205 and HP 1920S switch

Posted Feb 07, 2018 08:43 AM

Hello!

How was a Vlan configuration on the old switch? How is a Vlan configuration in AP?

This is not a product problem, but the design of its implementation.

• 3.  RE: Ap-205 and HP 1920S switch

Posted Feb 07, 2018 04:10 PM

Old and new swiches use a hybrid port config where we tag some vlans and use a default vlan (which is then used by the ap).  The only real difference is on the old switches we use a trunk as uplink.  The new 1920S does not understand the trunk concept (it actually knows the trunk concept but then rather as link aggregation, which is not the same) and only has tagged and untagged vlans.  The vlan configuration on the AP does not matter.  When booting, It just picks up an ip address in the default untagged vlan, looks for aruba-master and talks to that controller.  The dhcp process works (i can see that on the dhcp server).  The dns portion also.  The last part does not.  Which is ... strange...

• 4.  RE: Ap-205 and HP 1920S switch

Posted Feb 07, 2018 05:20 PM

Yes, trunk in the 1920s has another concept (all ArubaOS line). But this is simple to solve, the same hybrid port configuration that you used in the old switch you need to repeat in the 1920s, but following the term "tagging".

Now, what configuration did you perform on the switch for? What vlans did you set up at the port? Which vlans are set in Access Point?

Remembering that the hybrid port concept is unique to COMWARE lines, no other manufacturer applied that concept. Or it's untagged or tagged.

• 5.  RE: Ap-205 and HP 1920S switch

Posted Feb 12, 2018 10:17 AM

I have been replicating the issue on a test switch.  I found out that enabling following security settings triggered the issue :

Prevent TCP/UDP Blat attack

After disabling both settings, i tested and can confirm the AP connects to the controller again.