Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated

Posted Sep 21, 2016 12:58 PM

I work at a school district and I am trying to figure out how to deal with a wired Apple TV. I can connect to the Apple TV when I connect it wirelessly, but the issue is when I connect the Apple TV to the wired network.

We tunnel all wireless traffic back to our data center and it lives in its own subnet there.

My question is, I have a wired VLAN 192 at every location, but at each location, we assign a different subnet. These sites are L3 separated, OSPF back to the datacenter. 

I want to be able to connect to the wireless (which goes back to the Datacenter) but see the Apple TVs wired into the network (at the school).

I'm sure there must be a whitepaper or tutorial somewhere, but I have not successfully found one for this complex of a setup.

• 2.  RE: Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated

Posted Sep 21, 2016 01:08 PM

Just found this, it may provide me with the info that I need. Looks promising.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Wired-Apple-TV/td-p/257175

• 3.  RE: Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 01:17 PM
    Take a look at the AP multicast aggregation feature.

• 4.  RE: Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated

Posted Sep 21, 2016 03:08 PM

How does AP Multicast Aggregation work with multiple subnets sharing a single VLAN?

I guess I don't understand how the Apple TV gets to the controller from the wired side.

Do you have a working example you could possibly share?

• 5.  RE: Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated

Posted Sep 21, 2016 03:12 PM

I have a habit of finding answers to questions right as I post them.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/AirGroup/mDNS_AP_VLAN_Aggregation.htm

So my follow up question is now. Should I only be setting up a single AP in a location as a split tunnel? It would see all the Layer 2 traffic in the building presumably.

• 6.  RE: Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated

Posted Sep 21, 2016 06:48 PM

Any thoughts on seeing the AppleTV but not being able to connect to it?

Sometimes it shows untitled, sometimes it shows nothing happening on screen while a video goes to a black screen or MacBook does nothing.

• 7.  RE: Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 07:10 PM

Can the device ping the AppleTV?  Are any ports blocked.

• 8.  RE: Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated

Posted Sep 22, 2016 10:22 AM

Yes, I can ping.

No there shouldn't  be any blocked ports between them, it shouldn't hit the firewall. So it'd have to be the controller blocking ports if anything.

I will be doing a packet capture shortly. That should hopefully give some insight into where the disconnect is.

• 9.  RE: Apple TV on VLAN at different Site L3 seperated
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 28, 2016 04:18 PM

Just to follow up on this post. To get Apple TVs workings on VLANs at geographically separated locations I had to enable AP Multicast aggregation.

The thing I missed for several days trying to make this function is that I need to set the native VLAN in the AP system profile. All the Airgroup devices were going to VLAN 1 by default and I have VLAN 1 disabled. Setting the native VLAN to the VLAN that I expect Apple TVs on allowed for them to be accessed by Airgroup as I expected.