Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple TV - the definitive answer?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Apple TV - the definitive answer?

Posted Jun 01, 2012 12:55 AM

Ok - much talked about - but trying to get a definitive solution to getting Apple TV to work on its own SSID.

I read that AirGroup is on its way - but just playing around to see what I can get to work now.

Firstly - I know mDNS bonjour is the enemy of wireless performance - but bear with me as this is more proof of concept than a production scenario.

Setup

• Setup a new SSID - and VAP with Drop Broadcast and Multicast and Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast TURNED OFF
    • Apple TV and iPAD connect to the same SSID in the same VLAN (same physical AP actually).
    • Firewall rules are set to ANY ANY for the role that the Apple TV and iPAD are enrolling under.

iPAD is not able to see the Apple TV - ie. Airplay icon is not available.

Question - is the multicast and broadcast only applicable at the SSID level - or is it a global change that has to be made somewhere else and hence will affect all SSID AND VAPs?

Given the above scenario - do I also need to change the Broadcast Filtering ARP in the Stateful firewall to off as well?

Is there anything else I have missed?

Cheers

Wally

• 2.  RE: Apple TV - the definitive answer?

Posted Jun 01, 2012 10:45 AM

I'm going to be trying the same thing next week.  I know that I was able to get bonjour working at this point and just haven't tried AirPlay yet.  I found it in the WebUI - went to config -> network -> IP -> pick the vlan and edit -> the vlan needs an IP address on that vlan (static or DHCP) and then you can enable IGMP, snooping and MLD on the right (in addition to what you already have done).  It won't be until the vlan has an IP that you will actually have multicast working on that vlan, even within the same AP. 

I've had this turned on for a /24 network for a while now and am trying to grab an AppleTV to see if I can mess around with that to see if it's working.  But, multicast enabled on this ssid/vlan hasn't hurt anything yet).  Keep me posted on how you progress.  I'm looking ot do some short term pilots in some classrooms on campus and am trying anything since the users are just plugging in their own AirPortExtreme devices for it.  Uggh...

• 3.  RE: Apple TV - the definitive answer?

Posted Jun 06, 2012 01:47 AM

Ok  - have go this working on an SSID - with the 2 broadcast options turned off.

One of those things - tried it first time and ipad could not see ATV - tried again today and it worked OK.

Quick question - as enabling broadcasts is at the SSID - is it safe to assume that the broadcast, bonjour, mDNS traffic remains within that SSID - or is it such that being shared airspace - (bad way of putting it) - that other SSID's on the same AP will also be affected?

Cheers

Wally

• 4.  RE: Apple TV - the definitive answer?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2012 07:42 AM

@Wally wrote:

Ok  - have go this working on an SSID - with the 2 broadcast options turned off.

One of those things - tried it first time and ipad could not see ATV - tried again today and it worked OK.

Quick question - as enabling broadcasts is at the SSID - is it safe to assume that the broadcast, bonjour, mDNS traffic remains within that SSID - or is it such that being shared airspace - (bad way of putting it) - that other SSID's on the same AP will also be affected?

Cheers

Wally

All the other SSIDs are affected.