Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple iOS 8 Probe / Probe Request Randomization

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Apple iOS 8 Probe / Probe Request Randomization

Posted Jun 16, 2014 04:20 PM

While this is a win for privacy advocates. This will bring it’s own challenge when you have to packet capture an iPhone / iPad to troubleshoot! It will also throw off some statistic software and maybe IPS ?

I have an iPhone 5s on iOS 8. I did a number of captures and did not see the randomization of probes or probe request. It could be that it’s not implemented on the first beta release. I also checked to see if this was a manual setting, but I didn't find anything in the settings. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/09/mac-address-randomization-joins-apples-heap-of-ios-8-privacy-improvements

http://gigaom.com/2014/06/09/ios-8-wont-spill-your-unique-device-identifier-to-any-router-that-asks/ 

Whats your thoughts ?

• 2.  RE: Apple iOS 8 Probe / Probe Request Randomization

Posted Jun 17, 2014 10:04 AM
    Hey, At the Airheads event in Italy it was mentioned that the randomization only happens if you're not associated with the AP. If you're *on* the network, it will use the correct MAC address as we'd all expect it. Benny

• 3.  RE: Apple iOS 8 Probe / Probe Request Randomization

Posted Jun 17, 2014 10:39 AM
    Even with the non-associated, this will impact analytics. I'd be curious to see how Meridian and ALE will handle this.

• 4.  RE: Apple iOS 8 Probe / Probe Request Randomization

Posted Jun 18, 2014 01:47 AM

At the Airheads event this question was raised .. :)

Aruba has suggested an "in-store" system that is based on Bluetooth Low Energy beacons. According to the moderator the goal would be to get the customer on the network as quickly as possible.

That is all I can add to this discussion.

Benny

• 5.  RE: Apple iOS 8 Probe / Probe Request Randomization
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 17, 2014 01:30 PM

Thank Benny -- I will need to test that. I want to say I was actually associated when I did my testing ..

• 6.  RE: Apple iOS 8 Probe / Probe Request Randomization

Posted Jun 17, 2014 01:46 PM
    Would you be able to post pcaps of your testing?

• 7.  RE: Apple iOS 8 Probe / Probe Request Randomization

Posted Jun 17, 2014 05:42 PM

@BennyE wrote:
    Hey, At the Airheads event in Italy it was mentioned that the randomization only happens if you're not associated with the AP. If you're *on* the network, it will use the correct MAC address as we'd all expect it. Benny

I suspected this is the way it might work.  I'm still concerned the issues that randomization will cause when troubleshooting association issues.  Look forward to any updates to this thread.