Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AppleTV devices

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AppleTV devices

Posted Jun 08, 2015 08:32 AM

I have a customer who has a device acting as an AppleTV server which sometimes becomes unreachable by other devices. I checked and this device was in the users list rather than the servers list. We connected a laptop as a test and changed it from a user to a server, but again the device was still seen as a user rather than a server. I don't know much about Airplay and would apprectiate if anyone could help.

Controller is a 3600 running 6.4.2.4 with the default Airgroup settings.

• 2.  RE: AppleTV devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2015 08:35 AM
    Is it on the wired or wireless network?

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: AppleTV devices

Posted Jun 08, 2015 08:36 AM

Both are on the wireless.

• 4.  RE: AppleTV devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2015 08:38 AM
    Do you have active wireless discovery enabled?

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: AppleTV devices

Posted Jun 08, 2015 08:40 AM

I have checked and this setting is disabled, should I enable it?

• 6.  RE: AppleTV devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2015 08:42 AM
    It may help. It probes from the controller down to the client to discover services.

Also, Apple recommends AirPlay servers be on the wired network.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 7.  RE: AppleTV devices

Posted Jun 08, 2015 08:46 AM

I've enabled it but it still seems to be in the same state. It seems odd that in this wireless connected world these devices would have to be wired, I'm not sure how the customer is going to take this its a school and I think they expected the device to be available wirelessly.

• 8.  RE: AppleTV devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2015 09:55 AM

Can you turn up a user debug on the client? You should see discovery messages in the logs.

• 9.  RE: AppleTV devices

Posted Jun 10, 2015 08:07 AM

I have limited access for debugging, but I've noticed that bug ID 116556 describes what they are seeing perhaps this might be fixed in the latest version of code?

• 10.  RE: AppleTV devices
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2015 08:21 AM
    If you're able to, yes. There are a few fixes in 6.4.2.8 and 6.4.3.2.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 11.  RE: AppleTV devices

Posted Jun 11, 2015 04:20 AM

I upgraded the code and the customer has tested - all working as normal now. Thanks for the help Tim.

• 12.  RE: AppleTV devices

Posted Jun 12, 2015 08:11 AM

Hah, spoke too soon. It seems that they can connect to devices between one SSID and the wired network but not between the wired network and a second SSID. The devices are showing up but when attempting to connect they timeout with no error message. I have looked on the GUI and all VLANs are allowed for Airgroup. Any suggestions?

• 13.  RE: AppleTV devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2015 08:16 AM

What is the "router" or default gateway between those VLANs?  The controller can certainly populate the table with devices it sees, but the device traffic also cannot be blocked from communication between each other.  If you have those restrictions, discovery will work, but communications will fail.

• 14.  RE: AppleTV devices

Posted Jun 15, 2015 08:22 AM

Turns out that it was the upstream gateway that was blocking the traffic. Thanks everyone for your help with this.