Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Are Unwanted Guests Consuming Lots of IP Addresses?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Are Unwanted Guests Consuming Lots of IP Addresses?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 01:27 PM

I have heard from several this one complaint.  Their guest network is open but require login through a captive portal page.  Yet 90% of the devices consuming an address never log in through the portal page.  These devices are consuming lots of leases and as the network administrator you are running out of available leases.  In the city environment many of these are the drive-by and walk-by devices that have no intention of connecting to your network.

What to do?  I would like to hear from you but will give you some of my suggestions.

Keep the lease fairly short for guests.  Many set the lease time the same as they would for an enterprise client.  I normally suggest 1 hour but I learned at one customer the other day they have theirs set to 5 minutes.

Drop the 1 and 2 mbps data rates from the 2.4 GHz band.  This forces the device to be closer to the AP before it can associate.

Enable and set the Local Probe Response Threshold.  The right value requires some knowledge of your AP coverage area.  -75 is where I suggest to start.  Like dropping the data rates noted above the client must be fairly strong to actually associate.  Use this one with some caution as you may have areas where a valid guest may be in a minor coverage hole if you set it too high.

And this one comes with lots of hesitation by many.  Actually change the guest network from open to one that uses a PSK.  In this model I suggest making the key extremely easy like matching it to the SSID name.  You will of course need to advertise the key to valid guests through some mechanism like small signs in conference rooms or other public spaces.

So what are others doing to fight this problem?

• 2.  RE: Are Unwanted Guests Consuming Lots of IP Addresses?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 03:35 PM

I actually suggested that PSK method the the person who manages the wireless for JC Pennys. He complained about the same problem at the Airheads conference. I suggested he make the SSID of his guest network be this: password_is_jcp

Then make "jcp" the psk.

• 3.  RE: Are Unwanted Guests Consuming Lots of IP Addresses?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 03:37 PM

Way to obvious.  I like it.  Do you know if they implemented your suggestion?  If yes, How successful has it been?

• 4.  RE: Are Unwanted Guests Consuming Lots of IP Addresses?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 04:05 PM

No idea if he implemented it or not.

• 5.  RE: Are Unwanted Guests Consuming Lots of IP Addresses?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2012 05:59 PM

@zjennings wrote:

I actually suggested that PSK method the the person who manages the wireless for JC Pennys. He complained about the same problem at the Airheads conference. I suggested he make the SSID of his guest network be this: password_is_jcp

Then make "jcp" the psk.

Simply awesome.