Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 303H and POE Oper Power Issues

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Aruba 303H and POE Oper Power Issues

Posted Jul 07, 2020 03:55 PM

Hi all,

Recently, we needed to power cycle a group of 303Hs (via shut/no shut) that are connected to a Cisco 9300 and almost all returned normally aside from one. When I run the command sh power inline police, the Oper Power is around half (~2.3) of what the other 303Hs are at (~4.1). I have tried changing the port speed, setting and unsetting the static max power, rebooting multiple times, but it still won't show up. In the logs, the switch is reporting that the port is using power, but the interface status remains 'notconnect'. I should also mention that the switch has plenty of power, and both power supplies are healthy so there shouldn't be an issue there. I also ran a test cable-diagnostics tdr command and all four pairs report as "Normal". Due to our current work environment, I need to diagnose this remotely, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue before.

Here is the interface configuration for every AP port:

switchport access vlan 299

switchport mode access

switchport nonegotiate

switchport port-security maximum 10

switchport port-security violation restrict

switchport port-security aging time 2

switchport port-security aging type inactivity

switchport port-security

ip access-group Access_IN in

power inline port priority high

power inline static max 30000 <--- This was required on our old setup

power inline police action log

ipv6 traffic-filter Access_IN_v6 in

storm-control broadcast level 5.00

storm-control multicast level 5.00

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree guard root

ip dhcp snooping limit rate 100

• 2.  RE: Aruba 303H and POE Oper Power Issues

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 07, 2020 04:09 PM

Have you tried the AP in a known good working port. For example, move it to the same port as one of the ones that are working. Maybe a wiring issue.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 303H and POE Oper Power Issues

Posted Jul 07, 2020 04:15 PM

I haven't tried that yet. Since on-site access is limited at the moment, I am just checking to see if there are any remote solutions I have missed or if anyone has had a similar problem. I guess I'm also a little confused as to why it was working just fine before the shut/no shut happened. It's the oddest thing!

• 4.  RE: Aruba 303H and POE Oper Power Issues

Posted Jul 07, 2020 06:53 PM

Is the PoE draw stable or do you see it fluctuating every few seconds in the Cisco Switch syslog? It could be the AP might be defective. I have a 303H I need to RMA when i return to campus as it turns on (flashes RED) and immediately shuts off, only to attempt to boot up again a few seconds later. I haven't seen this with the 303Hs, but some of the AP-225s, they would "die" during a power cycle and get the dreaded "BSSID is all 0s" message in syslog, which always required an RMA. Theory was APs would become defective over-time, but since the OS was already loaded on the flash, wouldn't have a problem up until a power cycle or reboot.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 303H and POE Oper Power Issues
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 08, 2020 03:19 PM

I'm still not sure of the exact culprit but I was able to go on site and manually move the 303H to a different port. This may be a bug with the 9300s, and I have only seen these types of POE issues when they are connected to a 303H. There are other switches in our network that have experienced this same issue. Thank you all for your advice.