Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

Posted Jun 21, 2019 09:23 AM

Hi @cjoseph

Starting a double thread as new replies  was obviously disabled by Aruba in the original one :) You post was the last one... Why block people from asking why it takes to long?

Now it has been a week since the post you made. And the problem still persists...

So... There are only two possible causes that it takes this long.

# 1

You do not care enough for your customers or the customers security

# 2

You have a to complex backend and you do not understand it yourself enough to fix it within a reasonable time frame

From a company like Aruba that (at least up to now) stands out for quality, I am a little dissapointed right now.

What can we expect? A fix withing a few days? A week? A month?

/Peo

• 2.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

Posted Jun 21, 2019 09:39 AM

Have you tried logging the issue with TAC rather than on the forum? That will likely be the quickest way to get the issue resolved.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

Posted Jun 21, 2019 01:47 PM
    Please tell me how this could help when @cjoseph said it is a backend error? Not...

Also... you have an obligation for reasonable fixes to product owners with no support agreements.

You have a serious error

• 4.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2019 02:06 PM

Code fixes certainly take longer than a week, since this is an issue between Activate and IAP code. There are multiple things that need to happen to validate it's fixed and ensure it doesn't create or introduce other issues. 

CJoseph's last update was:

This is a backend error.  It means that there is no firmware upgrade available and it is not handled correctly by the access point.  For now assume it means there is no firmware upgrade.

I will re-post when it is fixed.

The thread was closed because there's no update, and we're starting to lock threads when done because years later people re-open the thread and it creates tracking issues and makes it more confusing when people search for X and pull up a 2-3 year old thread. There's no attempt here to prevent people from asking questions, but there's no value in continuing a thread that has been answered. 

If you want to track it actively, then a TAC case would be required so that you can get updates as to when it's expected to be fixed. That is the value of having a valid support contract.

Otherwise, without a support contract, as noted above, CJoseph looked it up within that other thread and relayed that it's been logged as an issue, an answer was provided as to 'what it means', and you can track the release notes for these errors to see if it's logged as a 'known issue but not fixed', or if it's been fixed in any upcoming releases as they come out in the future.

As to your assertions in the OP:

1. If we didn't care, we wouldn't be supporting and responding on this forum. And from what I've read in the bug notes, this is not really a "security" issue, it's a cosmetic message.

2. As noted above, it's not a matter of understanding, it's a matter of recognizing that bug fixes don't get root-caused across two platforms, get integrated, QA'd by TE, approved by PLM, and released into new code in 1-2 weeks. 

We all appreciate your participation in the Aruba Community, but I would ask that you minimize casting aspersions on the contributors.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

Posted Jun 22, 2019 11:13 AM

@jhoward

> We all appreciate your participation in the Aruba Community, but I would  ask that you minimize casting aspersions on the contributors.

That was of course not my purpose... In that case I am sorry for the tone in the post.

I do not have a support agreement and therefor depends on the update function in the product itself. So I cannot just open a case and get a firmware update to install manually. If a critcial security issue appears and you release a fix, I cannot install it as the auto update function is not working. I do not really get it how this could be just "cosmetic" if I cannot install an update...

But... I will follow the other thread and know you are working on it

/Peo

• 6.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2019 07:23 PM

The Limited Lifetime Warranty site provides firmware for users who do not have a support contract here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/Default.aspx

The error message in the subject means that there is currently no firmware update.

• 7.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

Posted Jun 23, 2019 02:58 PM

Hi

> The error message in the subject means that there is currently no firmware update.

Maybe you wrote that in some post and I missed it. If so... sorry! Otherwise that would have been great info to know from you in your first response post to this issue. If this is the case I agree it is not critical. It is not as obvious to the community as it is for you that sit on inside info :)

Tnx for the info...

/Peo

• 8.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

Posted Jul 24, 2019 06:39 PM

We receive this exact error message as well when using the "Check for New Version" button in our Aruba VC -- it can't mean that there is no firmware update, because clearly there is an update available beyond the version we're on (you can see when you go to the site).  So I think there is a misunderstanding here about what the error means

• 9.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2019 07:28 AM

The image check button only checks for factory releases for that model/platform.  If the image from the factory (the shipping image) is upgraded, then that button should show a new image.

Anyone  can download images from the limited lifetime warranty website, however.  http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/Default.aspx?EntryId=20388

As new AP models are released, those APs have new factory images, but the 305 "check" button only checks for the imge that is currently shipping with  the 305 model.

Again, according to engineering this message means that there is no image to be upgraded to automatically and it results in an error message.  They are currently working on it and there has not been an ETA established.  Again, anyone can upgrade from images on the limited lifetime warranty website.

Please see the limited liftime warranty agreement here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/product-warranties/

• 10.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

Posted Aug 13, 2019 05:56 AM

Any clues on this?

See attached files... It found new version in gui but upgrade gave the error seen in attached image screenshot. I have also tried to install it manually and downloaded it again. Same error. Looked at the log, and it seems ok except "verify fail" at the end....

Help appreciated

Regards

Peo

• 11.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

Posted Aug 18, 2019 05:40 AM

+1 for this new follow on issue.

• 12.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2019 10:29 AM

@pos42 wrote:

Any clues on this?

See attached files... It found new version in gui but upgrade gave the error seen in attached image screenshot. I have also tried to install it manually and downloaded it again. Same error. Looked at the log, and it seems ok except "verify fail" at the end....

Help appreciated

Regards

Peo

I am not sure if that is related.  We are checking on it.

• 13.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

Posted Aug 23, 2019 08:29 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

@pos42 wrote:

Any clues on this?

Help appreciated

Regards

Peo

I am not sure if that is related.  We are checking on it.

Today I tried again and it was a success!

I could see the earlier 8.3.0.8 image that failed had a SHA1 sum of 

4963fa5ea6ece64ec6dac34386f57b54302d47e4 whreas the new 8.3.0.8 when trying today  (with same version number) that succeded has a SHA1 sum of 

1a48be5f8ee1c9c821dc65f97955e1b8d934fd77. 

Many thanks for fixing it!

Regards 

Peo

• 14.  RE: Aruba 305 check for new version error = Image_check_internal error 001 code 2 - part 2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2019 05:33 PM

@pos42 wrote:

Hi @cjoseph

Starting a double thread as new replies  was obviously disabled by Aruba in the original one :) You post was the last one... Why block people from asking why it takes to long?

Now it has been a week since the post you made. And the problem still persists...

So... There are only two possible causes that it takes this long.

# 1

You do not care enough for your customers or the customers security [Not true.  If we didn't care, we would not check to see what the issue is with engineering and reply that it is being looked at.]

# 2

You have a to complex backend and you do not understand it yourself enough to fix it within a reasonable time frame

[What does that mean?]

#3 The Correct Answer:

Like Jhoward said, it is a cross-platform fix that affects hundreds of thousands of users, so it involves careful study and testing.  If we roll out a fix too soon and it breaks something material, it would be even worse.

From a company like Aruba that (at least up to now) stands out for quality, I am a little dissapointed right now.

[You are entitled to your feelings, yes.  Long story short it is a cosmetic issue and your users should not be affected and we have provided guidance on the error's effect on your user population.]

What can we expect? A fix withing a few days? A week? A month?

[We have pre-announced dates and times for fixes and we have been dead wrong and  It doesn't look good, so we don't do it.  Suffice it to say that we have identified the issue and we are working on a fix.  Please watch the other thread so that you can know if it is fixed and/or the next set of release notes for instant.]

/Peo