Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 3200 Cold Standby

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba 3200 Cold Standby

Posted Sep 14, 2016 07:00 AM

I have a single, productive 3200 controller (1) licensed with  16 APs, 16 PEF and 16 RF protect, 12 APs in use. I have a second 3200 controller (2) licensed with 24 APs and 24 PEF, actually not in use. Due to limted time and know-how, I would like to go for a cold standby setup.

My idea:

Both controllers on power, same configuration. Productive controller 1 connected to the LAN, second controller 2 on power but not connected to the LAN.

In case of a failure I would just disconnect the Cat5 cable from controller 1 and connect it to controller 2.

Would that work?

Is there something to consider?

• 2.  RE: Aruba 3200 Cold Standby

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2016 07:30 AM

EDIT:  What version of ArubaOS code are you running?

You should:

- Turn on Centralized Licensing

- Provision the second controller as a back up Master.

Centralized Licensing will allow you to have two controllers share a pool of licenses.  Having a backup master means that the second controller will back up the first one without your intervention.  The backup master will automatically synchronize the configuration with the master controller:

Centralized Licensing - http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/New_Licenses/Multi__Network.htm?Highlight=centralized

Master Redundancy Deployment Model:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvOverView.htm#Master-R

• 3.  RE: Aruba 3200 Cold Standby

Posted Sep 14, 2016 07:58 AM

Hi Colin, thanks for your answer.

Controller 1 is running 6.3.1.19, I have no access to the second controller right now.

I am sure the setup you are proposing is the right one, I am planning that after a lab test which will take place in 4 weeks. I have already read through all availible documentation (Campus Redundancy Models, Redundancy Design Best Practices from 2005 and about central licensing) and came to the conclusion it needs more pratice as well as a lab test before changing something on the network. Especialy as we have two new subsidaries where i have learned to go with a combination of VRRP and LMS/BLMS N+1 deployment

Meanwhile I need a solution with "limited" redundancy capabilities. I only have 12 APs, so the licenses should not be an issue.

So could my "Idea" with Cold Standby work?

• 4.  RE: Aruba 3200 Cold Standby
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2016 08:58 AM

Yes, it could work as long as the controller has the same ip address, configuration and same version of ArubaOS.