Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 3400 - CAP 175 - Problem with wireless client and transparent brigding mode

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba 3400 - CAP 175 - Problem with wireless client and transparent brigding mode

Posted Jul 14, 2014 06:58 AM

Hi Everybody,

I'm experiencing a strange issue with an Ubiquiti client used as a client (station) to connect 2 wired devices to the wireless network.

My Aruba network setup is composed by ad Aruba Controller 3400 with 6.3.1.8_44205 firmware on it, and a mix of 92 and 175 CAP APs, all of them configured to use 2.4GHz radio.

My Ubiquiti Wireless client is statically associated to a 175 CAP.

On the Ubiquiti side, I have the Ubiquiti wireless client linked to a little switch, and on the same switch I have 2 IP Phones connected.

My problem is that if I enable "WDS Transparent mode", that is the option to tell at the client station to let pass wired device's mac addresses untouched, I can talk with the Ubiquiti wireless client, but I can't contact wired devices behind the wireless client.

As opposite, if I disable this feature, my wired devices seems to be reacheable, but I notice that on the controller they're all presented with the same mac address (the mac address of the ubiquiti wireless client) and I need to avoid this condition.

Now, I know that is possible that the problem is on the Ubiquiti side, but, using this setup with another type of AP, it seems to work fine without any problem, so I want to tell You if there are any options on the controller's configuration that maybe block or interfere with the Ubiquiti client normal operation.

Thanx a lot in advance for support!

Regards!

• 2.  RE: Aruba 3400 - CAP 175 - Problem with wireless client and transparent brigding mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2014 07:29 AM

In the Virtual AP profile on the controller for that SSID, please consider disabling "Convert Broadcast ARP requests to Unicast"

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/VirtualAPs/Configuring_a_Virtual_AP.htm

"Starting with ArubaOS 6.1.3.2, the Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast  setting includes the additional functionality of broadcast-filter all parameter, where DHCP response frames are sent as unicast to the corresponding client. This can impact DHCP discover/requested packets for clients behind a wireless bridge and virtual clients on VMware devices. Disable this option to resolve this issue and allow clients behind a wireless bridge or VMware devices to receive an IP address."

• 3.  RE: Aruba 3400 - CAP 175 - Problem with wireless client and transparent brigding mode

Posted Jul 14, 2014 08:32 AM

Thanx a lot for quick reply. :smileywink:

Unfortunately I already tried this trick but the situation did not change.

I also tried to enable "FDB Update on Assoc" feature and also tried to disable HT mode for this SSID in order to force Wireless Client to operate in legacy G mode.

Sadly, none of those modifications did the trick!

• 4.  RE: Aruba 3400 - CAP 175 - Problem with wireless client and transparent brigding mode

Posted Jul 15, 2014 08:18 AM

As suggested by Aruba, I'm trying to configure an iAP as wireless client, but I can't find the correct procedure to accomplish this task.

I tried to configure WiFi uplink, as shown in the manual, and enforced wifi uplink, but the WiFi uplink status remains as 

Configured: YES

Enabled: NO

And show uplink status says that wifi uplink is in "INIT" or in "LOAD" state...

Anyone has some suggestions?