Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

Posted Sep 03, 2017 11:27 AM

Hi,

I have an Aruba 5412R zl2 switch. For the last two days, the switch reboots about every 8 hours. It has two management modules, but the issue exists with either of them connected or with both of them connected. After each reboot the log shows something like this:

I 09/02/17 11:15:30 00062 system: AM1: System went down without saving crash information
    I 09/02/17 11:15:30 03006 system: AM1: Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

Is there any possibility to disable the watchdog to avoid the restart?

Thank you,
    Florin

• 2.  RE: Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2017 11:37 AM

What version of code is this?

• 3.  RE: Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

Posted Sep 03, 2017 02:37 PM

Firmware 16.04.008

• 4.  RE: Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2017 03:21 AM

A watchdog is something that checks the functioning of your system, and restart the system when components stop responding (properly). This is done in the hope that after a restart, things will be better.

Restarts due to watchdog timeout indicate a serious issue with your hardware/software. And periodic watchdog issues should be investigated by Techsupport.

Please contact Aruba Techsupport/TAC. Contact details are in my signature.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

Posted Sep 04, 2017 03:53 AM

I did that, but they are moving slowly. Until then, I am trying to disable this watchdog. So, is there any possibility to do this?

• 6.  RE: Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 04, 2017 05:09 AM

I'm not sure on that; TAC should be able to help you with that question for a workaround.

If you believe TAC should be moving quicker, feel free to use the escalation procedure described here, as having a network interruption every 8 hours seems unacceptable to me.

How to Escalate an Issue?
    Customer concerns about support usually involve missed expectations on product performance or support delivery where a technical issue is not resolved in a reasonable manner. Attending to customer concerns is very critical to Aruba. To ensure the quickest resolution, please contact the engineer that is working the support case and request for an escalation. If you have any specific comments or concerns regarding our products, support and/or services, and would like to escalate to Aruba support management, please contact us at Aruba-Escalations@hpe.com.

• 7.  RE: Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

Posted Feb 23, 2020 05:37 PM

Was this ever resolved?  Our brand new 5412R is throwing several Watchdog Reset errors and subsequent management Module failover.  Did you have a bad media module (SFP or Ethernet)  Support has no idea why it's malfunctioning.   We have another 5412R in our environment...same firmware and modules...works perfect!  Extremely frustrating...

• 8.  RE: Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

Posted Jun 08, 2020 12:33 PM

This happened to one of my switches as well, but i don't have redundant management modules. first time occurrence. 

running 16.08.0006. will probably attempt an update to 16.10

• 9.  RE: Aruba 5412R zl2 is restarting - Reason for system reboot: Watchdog reset

Posted Jun 08, 2020 12:46 PM

I meant to post this a little while ago, but the root cause for the WDR's is a 5400R Series switch running with routing enabled and also running ip directed-broadcast.  As soon as ip directed-broadcast was disabled, the WDR's stopped.  Aruba is hoping to have this bug resolved in the upcoming firmware update in the month of June or early July.  Hope that helps.

Eric