Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 651

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Aruba 651

Posted May 31, 2016 05:17 PM
      |   view attached

Hello

This question may sound abit odd but I hope not. :) I do structured cabling and fiber etc here in calgary alberta canada and I use mainly pfsense, hp procurve products but 2 months ago I came by some Aruba IAP-93 and a Aruba 651 controller. my question is and Im sorry if I sound like a newbie here folks, but can this 651 be setup to use with my shaw cable modem as a replacement to my linksys WRT160N. Any help would be awesome people.

Thank you :)

• 2.  RE: Aruba 651

Posted May 31, 2016 05:23 PM

I donot see a problem on replacing the Linksys to Shaw modem. As long as the linksys provided public IP or Natted Private IP we should be good. 

• 3.  RE: Aruba 651

Posted May 31, 2016 06:03 PM
    Hello vkumaar

Thank you very much for getting back to me. So what your saying is that I can get rid of the linksys router WRT160N and use the Aruba 651, what port would I plug the cable modem into , 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ? ports 0 - 3 are poe and the other ports are not poe, also I was told that the license that comes with this unit is for the poe ports.. Will this affect me at all ? :)
    \

Thank you

Terry Anderson

Structured Solutions

• 4.  RE: Aruba 651

Posted May 31, 2016 07:37 PM

Hi, 

there is no WAN and LAN ports like Linksys. These ports can be assigned to VLAN and ACT as L2 and L3 interface. You locally route and bridge the traffic using 651 controller.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 651

Posted Jun 12, 2016 04:57 AM

you got it worked out Acroyear? an enterprise product like Aruba usually requires some (more) configuring then a consumer product. what you want is certainly possible but it will require configuring the 651 with IP adresses and possibly DHCP, NAT depending on your situation.

• 6.  RE: Aruba 651

Posted Jun 12, 2016 11:57 AM

you have some configuration to do .

• you have to know that Aruba Controller  Act like a layer 3 switch, it do not contain layer 3 port but SVI (you have to configure Vlan and there intrface).
    • Aruba controleller is a DHCP server
    • it can source nat users traffic as needed

you can find a user guide here

Documentation

Regards

• 7.  RE: Aruba 651

Posted Jun 12, 2016 05:13 PM
    Hello rchahboune

Thank you for that info... it will help me along.. one thing I love the most since I joined the forum is everyones enthusiasm and willingness to help others out. That is awesome. !!!!

Thank you

Terry / Acroyear

• 8.  RE: Aruba 651

Posted Jun 12, 2016 05:06 PM
    Hey Boneyard

No I did not get it worked out, all good thou... I'm having some issues just seting the 651 up with some IAP-93 Ya the Aruba stuff I dont really use to much, but I tell you it's rock solid when it is setup. I just need to find some to set it up for me. lol

Terry