Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 7008 controller setup

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Aruba 7008 controller setup

Posted Dec 05, 2019 04:58 AM

Hello,

I am trying to setup a Aruba 7008 controller.
    I am following the guide ArubaOS 6.5.0.0 Quick Start Guide.

Note that I do not have the console cable so I am doing the "initial setup" using web browser. My setup is below

IMG_1336.jpg

I go to https://172.16.0.254 and do the first part of the form for "Controller" and proceed to "finish now".

1) The wizard is stuck with the text "The setting specified in this wizard session are being pushed to the Controller...".

- Initially the controller STATUS LED was blinking green, and now it is steady green.

- I think the config is already pushed since the STATUS LED is steady already? and the web browser just timed out.

2) Since i think the config is already pushed, I connected the controller to a router. How do I get this controller's IP address so I can then access its webUI? (because I want to move on to the step in the guide to for "Configure the Controller to Support APs")

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

• 2.  RE: Aruba 7008 controller setup

Posted Dec 05, 2019 05:22 AM

Hello,

You said:

I go to https://172.16.0.254 and do the first part of the form for "Controller" and proceed to "finish now".

So..what have you configured ?
    Anything about IP addresse or VLANs ?

You can check your Routers DHCP Pool or ARP Table to find out the controller IP address, if it is assigned via DHCP.

P.s. think about ugrading to AOS 8 :)

• 3.  RE: Aruba 7008 controller setup

Posted Dec 05, 2019 05:33 AM

Hello,

The things that I configured/used the defaults in the form are:
    1. basic info for controller

- name, country code, password, timezone

2. licenses

3. connectivity (i just clicked next)

- "controller ip address" = i used the default which is "IP of VLAN1")

- all default

4. uplink (i just clicked next)

- all default which is "enable uplink firewall" = unchecked, as well as "enable uplink manager"

5. configure ports (i just clicked next)

- all default

After number 5, it gave me option to continue setting up Group/etc. OR finish the setup already.
    So i chose the "finish now", since I figured I should be able to configure the other stuff later.

@mhausmann wrote:

You can check your Routers DHCP Pool or ARP Table to find out the controller IP address, if it is assigned via DHCP.

OK i will try to see if I can do this one.

@mhausmann wrote:

P.s. think about ugrading to AOS 8 :)

I do not know much about Aruba and controllers, etc. so I was just following the Aruba OS 6.5 guide that came with the package =P

Thanks for your response.

Best regards,

Jeffrey

• 4.  RE: Aruba 7008 controller setup

Posted Dec 06, 2019 03:10 AM
      |   view attached

Good day,

I have made some progress today. I reset the Aruba 7008 controller and started from scratch and this time I was this time able to push the config settings to the controller.

Here is the screenshot of the successful "initial setup".
    Basically I just edited the basic info like name and country, and all others are default. (I also attached the config summary pdf)

11.png

Following the image above, I connected the Aruba 7008 controller to the network now.
    The problem I am facing is I cannot load "https://172.16.0.254".
    How do I proceed to debug this issue? The browser just says timeout, so I dont think im able to reach 172.16.0.254.
    I think I need to do some config to my router but I dont know much about networking and configuring etc.

Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Attachment(s)

pdf
    config_1206.pdf   97 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Aruba 7008 controller setup
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 06, 2019 03:23 AM

Hi,

I think there are so basics missing :)

Ok:

172.16.0.254 is the default static IP of Aruba Controllers.

If you have a different subnet on your router, like 192.168.0.0/24 this IP will not be reachable.

You must assign an IP address that matches the router's subnet.

If the router distributes DHCP, you can check which subnet it is on your notebook or similar devices.

You can also connect to the 172.16.0.254 :)

-- Customize your network adapter under Windows
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/
    -- Give your LAN adapter the 172.16.0.253 with the mask 255.255.255.0

Then you should be able to access the controller via web.
    BUT: You still need to change the controller's IP address to match the router's subnet.

Regards

• 6.  RE: Aruba 7008 controller setup

Posted Dec 06, 2019 04:37 AM

Hello, thank you for your prompt response!

Yeah im not really the IT/network guy :P

Its just me that can take care of it at the moment.

My suspicion is confirmed then, they need to be in the same subnet.

From below image taken when I did initial setup, I cannot change the IP address of the Aruba controller, there is no other choice for "Controller IP Address", its just "IP for VLAN 1" in the dropdown menu.

Is that normal?

4.png

From your advice last time about ARP table, I looked at the list and the result is like below table. So definitely the router and the controller have different subnet.

192.168.128.3 -- device1
    192.168.128.2 -- device2
    192.168.128.7 -- device3
    172.16.0.254   -- Aruba 7008 Controller

I will look for ways on how to make them in the same subnet, as you advised.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jeffrey