Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Aruba 8.2 Controller Transmit EIRP (dBm) relation to MW out put power on Radio on AP-305

Hi Forum,

On an Aruba 8.2 controller the power is reflected as Transmit EIRP (dBm) .

How do I convert this value to "MW out power" for a AP-305. The actual goal is to get 25mW of out power.

Thanks for the info!

Frequent Contributor II

Re: Aruba 8.2 Controller Transmit EIRP (dBm) relation to MW out put power on Radio on AP-305

You would need about 14dBm of EIRP to achieve that:

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/mW_to_dBm.html

ACMX#255 | ACDX#742 | ACCX#746 | AMFX#25 | ACMP | ACCP | AWMP
www.securelink.nl
Occasional Contributor I

Re: Aruba 8.2 Controller Transmit EIRP (dBm) relation to MW out put power on Radio on AP-305

Hi Arjan,

I understand your reply and in essence it is correct.

However i found post: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/In-802-11-transmit-EIRP-15-what-is-this-in-terms-of-MW-out-put/td-p/198471

That post suggests that you should take the antenna gain. E.g. when having a gain of 7.6 dBi on 5Ghz, that this will result in 14 dBm EIRP + 7.6 dBi antenna gain == 21,6 dBm EIRP

So my question relates to the actual radiated power by the antenna, not the power supplied towards the antenna.

Any ideas to clarify what is the correct answer on this?

Guru Elite

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Frequent Contributor II

The answer from Herman in that topic should conclusive. The values you see in ArubaOS are EIRP; this means antenna gain is accounted for; in other words: this is the value after antenna gain.

For AP's with internal antennas ArubaOS already knows the antenna gain, but when working with external antennas you will have to configure the antenna gain during AP provisioning. This way, ArubaOS can calculate the correct EIRP so local regulations can be met.

If you want to know the actual TX-power on the radio side of the AP you can look at CLI commands like: "show ap debug  power-table ap-name <AP> radio <0 or 1>"

ACMX#255 | ACDX#742 | ACCX#746 | AMFX#25 | ACMP | ACCP | AWMP
www.securelink.nl
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: