Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Aruba 8 possible vrrp issue

Hello,

I'm having a rather odd issue.  I'm trying to setup a redundant pair of mobility master controllers along with a redundant pair of mobility controllers, all running on a VmWare ESX environment.  I'm using the instructions on the Airheads Broadcasting Channel (youtube) as a guideline.  My MMs seem to be working fine, they can ping each other, one sees itself as master, the other as backup.  From my workstation, I can ping each MM IP address, along with the VRRP IP.  No issues.  I can fail over, and no issues.

However, when I bring up a VMC, I'm having odd connectivity issues.  Sometimes I can ping 1 MM and not the other, sometimes I can ping the 2nd MM and not the first.  Of course, sometimes the VRRP IP is pingable, other times not (depending on which MM I can ping and which one is the master).

I've been researching this, to no avail.  I've set all the VMWare options (promiscuous mode, mac address changes, forced transmits), but it doesn't make a difference.  I've torn down and rebuilt the VMC, sometimes with the port in access mode, other times in trunk mode, no difference.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Dave

MVP Guru

Re: Aruba 8 possible vrrp issue

Are both of the VRRP's in the same L2 broadcast domain and using the same/or different VRRP ID's?

ACMP, ACSA, ACDX #985
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)

Yes and yes.

MVP Guru

If they have the same VRRP ID in the same L2, change the VRRP ID.

Sent from my iPhone

ACMP, ACSA, ACDX #985

Sorry, I guess I need to clarify.  Currently, I just have a redudant pair of MM's.  I just have 1 VMC that I am currently test with (before adding in a 2nd VMC).  That 1 VMC is having intermittent connectivity issues with the MM's. 

MVP Guru

Can you provide some logs from the MD? It will be very difficult to speculate what could cause the information as every environment is different. Has any initial troubleshooting been completed already? Under your vmnic have you enabled Promiscuous Mode/Forged Transmits/MAC Address Changes?

ACMP, ACSA, ACDX #985

It sounds very much like Promiscuous Mode and Forged Trasmits are not enabled on the MMs. The same two settings need to be enabled on the VMC as well, since you plan on doing a second VMC.

Jerrod Howard
Distinguished Technologist, TME
Highlighted

Everything I've read points to that as well.  However, that is not the case here.  Both are enabled on the vswitch as well as the port group.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: